“Just Gender” Screening: An Interview with Jason Lucarelli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

What is it like to be a member of the transgender community? Find out during a screening of the documentary Just Gender on Friday, November 14 at 7 p.m. in Eddy Theatre. Hosted by the Psychology of Gender Research Team, the event is sponsored by the Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Pittsburgh (GLCC) and the Association for Women in Psychology.

Psychology of Gender Research Team outreach coordinator Jason Lucarelli worked to secure funding for the event. He volunteers often with the GLCC and is working to collect toiletries for their services for homeless LGBT youth.

HC Chatham: What is the Psychology of Gender Research Team? What are you studying/working on?

Jason Lucarelli: The Psychology of Gender research team is co-directed by Dr. Britney Brinkman and Dr. Anthony Isacco, faculty members in Chatham University’s Graduate Psychology Programs.  The research team includes a dynamic network of researchers, practitioners, and students and is the home base for a wide variety of research projects.  Research topics include: social activism, men’s health, identity-based bullying prevention, and the psychology of fatherhood – just to name a few.  We also highly value student involvement in our research team and projects.  Many students work side-by-side with us and learn to develop collaborative professional presentations and publications.  The research team is a productive and active group of scholars – we present our work at national conferences such as the American Psychological Association convention, the National Psychotherapy with Men and Boys conference, and the Association for Women in Psychology conference on a regular basis.

For students who want to donate toiletries, do they bring them to the event or is there another drop-off location?

Donations can be donated in Eddy Theater on the night of the screening for Just Gender.  Donations will also be collected outside of room 100 in Dillworth at various drop off sites in the residence halls on campus. 

Why do you personally think all Chatham students should attend this event?

All students can benefit from attending the film screening because gender is a construct that impacts everyone’s lives.  All students can benefit from an opportunity to reflect on the ways gender has been a shaping force in their own lives. Many people may go about their days not considering the ways in which their attitudes about gender are shaping their own behaviors as well as their interactions with others. Individuals who are more expansive in their gender expression (rather than conforming to traditional gender norms) may face misunderstanding and discrimination – simply for being themselves. 

For more information, email jlucarelli@chatham.edu.

Image: Facebook event page

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.