How to Build Your Own Terrarium

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
A terrarium is a great addition to any dorm room. They add decoration and greenery.  You can plant flowers, herbs, small veggies, or even miniature fruits! Terrariums are not only easy to care for, but easy to build! So here’s how:

1. Find a container
Any container will do; even closed containers. An open terrarium will need spritzed with water a couple times a week, while a closed terrarium requires an extra ingredient (but no watering). 

2. Rocks 
Add a layer, about an inch thick, of rocks. Various sizes work depending on the container. This is to allow air to get the roots, and a place for water to go because there is no hole in the bottom of a terrarium like a normal planter. 

3. Activated Charcoal 
Note: this step is really only for closed containers to prevent molding and to clean water as it recycles in this system.  Add a thin covering over the rocks.

4. Moss 
Next step is to add a decent amount of moss on top of the rocks and charcoal.

5. Soil 
A hefty amount of soil is needed for the roots, and even more if you are planting something that grows downward, like a radish. This should take a decent amount of space in the container.

6. Plant your seeds/partially grown plants 
Seeds should be placed about a ½ inch down, and roots of plants should be covered. If you are planting a succulent that stems from another plant, you can simply place the entire appendage on the soil and it will root itself and grow.  

7. Extra moss 
Moss can be added again for aesthetic pleasure, but this is optional.

8. Accents 
Tiny figurines and rocks can be added to your terrarium, too. Just don’t hurt the plants! Get creative with this part.

9. Sun
Place your terrariums in a sunny spot (unless otherwise directed) and enjoy your terrarium! 

Cierra is a first year student at Chatham University, majoring in sustainability. She likes salads, trying new things, interacting with animals, and alone time. Being weird is a specialty, and nature is a second home.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.