Hillary Lotz, 2014 Boston Marathon Runner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

When Hillary Lotz transferred to Chatham, she brought her caring spirit to campus. Lotz always has a smile, a hug or a random act of kindness to share; now, she’s taking her giving to the next level. This April, Lotz will run for the American Liver Foundation in the Boston Marathon. “I chose to run for the American Liver Foundation because I believe that ALF does wonderful things with the money it raises,” says Lotz. “When I was in high school, my Dad was very sick with liver disease, though he did not qualify for a transplant. ALF helped me cope with what my Dad was going through. (Thank gosh he’s okay now though!)”

Getting to the Boston Marathon is a challenge. “The application process was pretty intense!” shares Lotz. Runners apply to support one of a few dozen charities, and each of those organizations only has a small number of designated spots. “The American Liver Foundation has 150 spots, plus specials spots this year for runners who were unable to finish the race last year. When I found out that my application had been accepted out of 30,000 applicants, I was so excited that I started to cry!”

Lotz wasn’t always a runner, though she has a long history as an athlete. She picked up running to cross-train for her high school swim competitions. Eventually, the hobby turned into a real passion: at Chatham, she runs Cross Country in the fall and swims in the spring. “I love the ‘runner’s high’ you get after completing a workout,” she says. “Running just clears my mind.”

The Boston Marathon is a challenge for even the most experienced athletes, but Lotz is fearless in her devotion to doing good. “Running the Boston Marathon has always been a dream of mine, especially after last year’s events,” she says. “I’m really excited to run it for charity because I get to be doing something I love (running) while raising money for a fantastic cause.” We’ll be cheering her on from Chatham.

If you’d like to give to ALF, Lotz set up a fundraising page where anyone can make a donation. “People can support me by sharing my story,” she says. “One of the things I love about our day and age is that anyone can make a difference.”

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.