GLSEN’s Ally Week: Why and How to Get Involved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

What is an ally?

An ally is defined by GLSEN as “…a person who takes demonstrable action supporting members of a marginalized group with which they do not identify.”

Who can be an ally?

Everyone can be an ally!

Some allies are outside of the LGBTQIA+ community entirely, however, because the acronym covers so many identities, many people who identify within the LGBTQIA+ community are still allies to people with different identities within the community. Those outside and inside the LGBTQIA+ community can and should also be allies to those in other marginalized groups. 

Why should I care?

Anyone in a marginalized group can face discrimination and hate based on their identity, which can lead to many negative outcomes in physical and mental health, as well as in the ability of someone to continue to pursue their dreams through schooling or otherwise. With the help of allies, this discrimination and hate can be lessened. Also, it is always nice for someone in a marginalized group to know who respects them and has their back when much of society may not, so identifying as an ally can mean a lot.

What is Ally Week?

Ally Week is a GLSEN-sponsored but student-organized program led by LGBTQIA+ groups at schools around the country to help engage current allies and inspire more people to become allies to the LGBTQIA+ community. Ally Week runs September 26th-30th, right before LGBTQIA+ History Month in October, which allies are highly encouraged to participate in as well.

How can you be involved in Ally Week on Chatham’s campus?

For GLSEN’s Ally Week, Chatham’s Queer Straight Alliance will be tabling in Anderson September 26th-30th during lunches with resources from GLSEN as well as the #illgowithyou campaign, as well as other information and flyers. Come visit our table and gain some new knowledge, as well as fun items like pins, stickers, and temporary tattoos provided through the support of Heather Black in Student Affairs. While we want you to have fun, it is important to remember that being an ally means doing it even when it becomes difficult.

Later in the fall semester or in the spring, the Queer Straight Alliance is aiming to hold an Ally Workshop, which would be an hour-long program to discuss how we can all improve our allyship for those in the LGBTQIA+ community and otherwise, and how we can make people feel safer and more validated on our campus. Look out for updates on this event as well and attend if you can.

A good ally helps those in the marginalized group they support by:

• Listening
  • Helping their voices be heard
  • Standing up for them
  • Supporting their events
  • Working towards improving their rights 

Allies to the LGBTQIA+ community should:

• Correct mislabeling or misgendering
  • Respect the privacy of queer individuals
  • Try to better understand those in the LGBTQIA+ community

I hope you’ll stop by the Queer Straight Alliance’s Ally Week table during one of your lunches this week, and remember it is always great to be an ally!

More information about Ally Week can be found at GLSEN’s official website: http://www.glsen.org/allyweek/about

Jessica Keller is a senior biochemistry major at Chatham University minoring in psychology and music. She is a culture writer for The Chatham Post. This summer, she started as a columnist for Queer PGH. Her poetry and prose have been featured in multiple editions of Chatham's Minor Bird literary magazine.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.