Free Apps for Finals Week Wellness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Finals Week is here! Between 20-page reports and group projects, it’s easy to forget to take care of yourself. These apps can help.

The Problem: Your mind is racing.

The Answer: Headspace

Writing and rewriting your to-do list? Time for a 10-minute break. Headspace offers guided meditation sessions that take about as much time as a walk across campus. If you fear clearing your mind, this app can help by positioning you to tune in instead of zone out. Whether you’re on the silent floor of the library or surrounded by the buzz of the Café Rachel morning rush, you’ll have the help you need to relax. 

The Problem: You haven’t been to the gym in a week.

The Answer: 7M Workout

There are a lot of 7 Minute Workout apps out there, but this official one from Johnson & Johnson will get you out of your desk chair. Start with an optional warm up, then go right into a sequence of timed exercises. Indicate whether you like or dislike each move for a customized experience, and play music from your iTunes library through the app. This is definitely a study break you won’t feel guilty about!

The Problem: You’re basically living off of pop and pizza.

The Answer: Fooducate

This isn’t just a calorie tracking app. Fooducate gives you the tools to know exactly what’s going into your body, then empowers you to make better decisions. Before you hop on the shuttle for a grocery loop, browse the Food Finder to discover which snacks get high ratings. You’ll also find healthy recipes, a community of supporters and a tracker customized to your own goals (from eating vegan to lowering your sugar intake).

The Problem: You’re inescapably anxious.

The Answer: Pacifica

This new app is designed to give you power over your anxiety. Just like a nutrition tracker, this app lets you track your feelings so that you’re able to identify and disrupt patterns. You’re also given activities to help you manage anxiety, including a series of meditations – from deep breathing to ocean waves – that help you get centered before a big presentation.

The Problem: You’re dealing with seriously negative self-talk.

The Answer: You – app with Jamie Oliver

The You app challenges community members to complete a micro-action or two each day, from sharing a photo of someone who makes them happy to snapping a pic of a totally normal, beautiful moment. Taking a few minutes to remind yourself of the good, small things in life makes finals week feel a bit less threatening.

Which apps answer your Finals Week wellness woes? Tell us in the comments!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.