Event Forecast: Week of 9/11-9/17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

With so many events on campus every day, it can quickly become hard to decide where to go! Make sure you don’t miss a thing and check out our Event Forecast for the week of September 11-17.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 12

Relay For Life 2017 Kickoff & Awards Party

Monday, September 12, 2016

4:00 PM – 7:00 PM

Carriage House Lounge

This kickoff celebration is designed to get students, faculty and staff excited and prepared for Relay 2017, as well as give awards to the top fundraisers and teams from Relay 2016.

Tea at Gregg House with David, Sue, and Faculty

Monday, September 12, 2016

4:30 PM – 6:00 PM

Gregg House

Ever wanted to sit down with the new President of Chatham? Well now you can! Register on myChatham to attend this great weekly opportunity!

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13

Dine with the Deans Class of 2020

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

5:30 PM – 7:00 PM

126 Woodland (Dean Waite’s home)

Calling all Class of 2020 students! Don’t miss this Chatham University favorite. Take advantage of this great opportunity to mix and mingle with the Deans while enjoying a great dinner. And don’t forget to register on myChatham!

Study Abroad Fair

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

11:00 AM – 2:00 PM

Mellon Board Room, Mellon Center

It’s a big world. Want to see more of it AND receive academic credit? Check out the Study Abroad Fair to meet with representatives of study abroad providers from around the world and find out about opportunities to study or intern abroad.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 14

Squirt Gun Hunger Games

Thursday, September 15, 2016

4:00 PM – 6:00 PM

Quad

The second annual Squirt Gun Hunger Games will feature the standard Hunger Games movie game format where there will be a cornucopia that everyone starts on (12 per round) and then squirt guns and water balloons will be placed strategically throughout the game field. The winner will receive a gift card and all participants will have tie-dyed shirts by the end of the games.

Maymester Field Experiences Information Session

Thursday, September 15, 2016

4:00 PM – 5:00 PM

Sanger Hall, Coolidge

Considering studying abroad this Maymester? Hear from the faculty leaders about the field experiences offered this spring!

Screening of Don’t Tell Anyone

Thursday, September 15, 2016

6:30 PM – 9:00 PM

Eddy Theater

Dont Tell Anyone is the story of Angy Rivera. Since the age of 4, Angy Rivera has lived in the United States with a secret that threatens to upend her life: She is undocumented. Angy arrived with her mother, fleeing violence, poverty, and civil war in their native Colombia. For 20 years they live in the shadows, struggling to stay afloat financially and avoid deportation while battling a complex and inequitable immigration system. “Don’t tell anyone” is a phrase whispered often and branded deeply on the consciousness of all who are undocumented.

Now 24, unable to pay tuition for college and facing an uncertain future, Angy joins the youth-led New York State Youth Leadership Council (YLC) with whom she dons a bullhorn at pro-immigration rallies, telling all who will listen that she is “undocumented and proud.” Rivera becomes an activist for undocumented youth with a popular advice blog “Ask Angy” and a YouTube channel boasting more than 27,000 views. She steps out of the shadows a second time to share her story of sexual abuse, an experience all too common among undocumented women. DON’T TELL ANYONE (NO LE DIGAS A NADIE) follows Rivera’s remarkable journey from poverty in rural Colombia to the front page of The New York Times.

Film screening followed by a Forum on U.S. Immigration and Advocating for the Rights of the Latino Community. Panelists include: Christina Castro, Women’s Law Project; Maria Duarte, Chatham University Student; Monica Ruiz, Casa San Jose; and Sister Janice Vanderneck, Casa San Jose.

Panel brought to you by Chatham University’s Pre-law Club and the PA Center for Women and Politics. Make sure to register on myChatham!

Tea at Gregg House with David, Sue, and Staff

Thursday, September 15, 2016

4:00 PM – 5:30 PM

Gregg House

Cake Boss Style Competition

Thursday, September 15, 2016

8:00 PM

Carriage House

Think you can decorate a cake better than your friends? Put it to the test at the Cake Boss Style Challenge!

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16

Trivia Night & Performer

Friday, September 16, 2016

7:00 PM

Carriage House Lounge

Grab your teammate and enjoy a night of trivia pub quiz style! Featuring comedy stylings of Francisco Ramos!

Carnegie Science Center 21+ Night

Friday, September 16, 2016

6:00 PM – 10:00 PM

Carnegie Science Center (1 Allegheny Avenue, Pittsburgh PA)

Enjoy an adults only night out at the Carnegie Science Center! This month’s theme will be Back to School, so bring your friends and have some fun exploring! This event will feature a cash bar and several shows scheduled throughout the evening. Must be 21 and over to attend. Students must register on myChatham to attend! The event costs $5 for Chatham Students.

Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.