D.C. from a Dorm Room: 4 Movies to Watch for a Mini-Trip to Washington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Couldn’t make it to D.C. over Fall Break? Don’t wait until next year’s trip for a mini-vacation: rent these movies and visit the city from your room!

1. Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian

Talking Einstein bobbleheads. A bounding Jeff Koons sculpture. A living Lincoln Memorial. This movie is wildly imaginative and beautifully hilarious; it’s also a poignant tour of the Smithsonian museums. You’ll never see a wax figure the same way.

The movie also features Robin Williams as Teddy Roosevelt, delivering wisdom and laughter in a way that only he can. 

2. National Treasure: Book of Secrets

The first National Treasure movie is primarily set in Philadelphia, but you’ll still want to check it out before turning on the odyssey that is Book of Secrets. Historically accurate? Debatable. Seriously delightful? Absolutely. It’ll make your next trip to a monument feel a bit more epic. It’ll also make you want a spot on the guest list for the White House Easter Egg Roll.

3. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

This 1939 movie is astonishingly of-the-moment. Deeply critical and sweetly charming, it’ll give you a new perspective on Congress.

4. Independence Day

Will Smith + Jeff Goldblum = magic. It doesn’t hurt that Bill Pullman delivers one of the best movie president speeches of all time, either.

We know there are way more than four movies set in D.C. Tell us your favorite in the comments!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.