Class of 2019: 6 Things Commuters Can Do to Feel at Home on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Without a home base on campus, commuters need to get creative. Here are six ways to ensure a smooth transition.

1. Make friends before the first day of classes.

You may not have a roommate’s name delivered to your inbox, but you can still make new friends over the summer. “Attend Chatham’s open houses and student orientation,” suggests Laura Jackson ‘13G. Try to talk to one new person at every meal, tour and icebreaker.

If a trip to campus is inconvenient, network on social media instead. The Class of 2019 Facebook group is a good place to start.

2. Strategize.

Road construction. Dead ends. Blizzards. No matter how much you standardize your daily commute, you need to have a backup plan.

“If you live close to campus, walk if it is within walking distance,” advises Lejla Avdagic ’15. Fans of fresh air may also dig biking; you can even get repairs at Chatham’s own Bike Shop. If traveling the city on two wheels is intimidating, sign up for one of Bike Pittsburgh’s workshops: they’ll give you the info you need to navigate safely. Just remember to keep your schedule in mind: you may not be in the mood for a rigorous AFC aerobics class after hiking to campus!

Can’t go on foot? “Learn how to use the T and the buses!” suggests Laura. “Especially since Chatham gives us free ridership (with our student IDs).” Port Authority offers a Trip Planner: plug in your starting and ending destination, the date, and the time you want to leave to have your route mapped out for you. Students living in Oakland or the East End may choose to catch a Chatham shuttle instead; they make the rounds to Eastside, Pitt and CMU throughout the day.

If you’re committed to your car, connect with other students and set up a carpool. Whether you want to travel together every day or just be able to catch a ride with someone in an emergency, you’ll have a support network.

3. Get a good parking spot.

A walk up Woodland Road is gorgeous on a sunny day but a drag during a downpour. Purchasing a parking permit from Chatham allows you to keep your vehicle on campus and saves you from feeding meters between classes. You may receive an email with instructions on getting a permit, but you can always find more information on Chatham’s website. Secure a space early!

4. Find a place of your own.

Even if you’re living off campus, you can still have personal space at Chatham.

First, contact Student Affairs about a free locker rental. It’ll feel a bit like high school, but you won’t have to haul your heavy textbooks and yoga mat to choir practice.

Of course, having a locker isn’t quite the same as having a dorm room. As you ease into classes, keep an eye out for quiet places on campus. Many locations have a rhythm: Café Rachel and Anderson both clear out at different times of day, and some student lounges are virtually empty if you settle in at the right time. For guaranteed privacy, stop by the JKM Library circulation desk and request keys to an individual study room.

5. Keep meeting people.

When Orientation ends, the real work begins: budding friendships go into maintenance mode. It’s difficult to stay up-to-date on classmates’ bad dates and killer exams when you’re only on campus for a few hours each day, so it’s critical to actively connect. Most college interactions are casual – two people happen to leave their residence hall at the same time – but you may need to do some scheduling. Set up coffee breaks, arrange study groups and plan wacky weekend field trips. Though it may feel forced, many students are grateful when someone takes the reigns and actually starts organizing a social calendar.

Just because you have friends doesn’t mean you should stop looking for more. “Make sure you get involved with campus activities so that you can have the opportunity to meet a lot of new interesting people,” suggests Lejla.  Stop by every booth at the Student Activities Fair and sign up for anything that genuinely interests you. Friendships forged through meeting deadlines, staging shows or planning parties can be seriously strong. (P.S. Her Campus Chatham is always thrilled to welcome new Cougars to the team!)

It’s tempting to skip events when you’re not bound to campus; don’t do it. “Attend as many on-campus events as you can!” says Laura. Tack up the calendar you get from Student Activities at the start of the semester. HC Chatham keeps an ongoing events calendar, and myChatham features lectures, workshops and intramurals you won’t want to miss. Student Activities also runs a full slate of commuter get-togethers throughout the year. Bonus? They often feature freebies, noodles and cake included. “Just because you don’t live on campus, that doesn’t mean you can’t have the full college experience like everyone else,” says Lejla. “Everything depends on how involved you choose to be.”

6. Be present.

Don’t rush home after class. Take a seat on the first floor of the library to do your homework. Curl up with a copy of Moby-Dick in Café Rachel. Grab a cheesesteak in Anderson. Fun may find you.

Will you be driving or using another form of transportation? Share your answer below in the comments!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.  
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.