Ciera Marie Young

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
Ciera (pictured far left) with Chatham friends

Ciera Marie Young

Year: 2014

Hometown and What You Love About It: Columbus, OH. I love the Short North (The Art’s District) and Jeni’s Ice Cream.

Double Major: Cultural Studies-African American Studies, International Studies-Africa
Minor: Film and Digital Technology  

Favorite Movies: Bridget Jones’s Diary

Favorite TV Shows: Community, Bob’s Burgers, The Mindy Project, Scandal, The New Normal. I’m also into web series and I love the Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl and The Choir.

Favorite Books: Stargirl, Kite Runner, House of the Spirits, & Wretched of the Earth. I’m currently reading A People’s History of the United States.

Favorite Foods: FRENCH FRIES!!, Chicken Curry, Pad Thai

Favorite Musicians/Bands: Janelle Monet, A Tribe Called Quest, Solange, Alabama Shakes

What is your favorite spot on campus and why?
What happened to the bird nest? I loved how awkward it was. I miss it!

Childhood Dream Job:
I wanted to be a princess until I found out that I had to marry into it :p

Current Dream Job:
Program Developer of a nonprofit. I want to run for office someday as well.

Why did you choose Chatham?
I thought that Chatham provided a lot of opportunities to its students. Also the environment seemed supportive.

What do you love most about being a Chatham woman?
The campus cat! Also, I enjoyed being able to grow here. Originally, I was not going to attend college. I look back and I’m proud of all of the opportunities that I’ve had.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.