Chatham Girl Rising Screening Presented by Intel and Her Campus

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Globally, 66 million girls are out of school.

That’s our total undergraduate student body multiplied by more than 73,000.

We are 922 undergraduates tucked away in a Shadyside arboretum, but we understand this statistic in a powerful way.

We are a global microcosm. We’re from Canada and Iraq, Pittsburgh and China, Senegal and Argentina. We hear Spanish in the hallways and write Arabic on the blackboards. We organize Japanese cooking nights and applaud African dance ensembles.

We are women. We hear lectures organized by the Pennsylvania Center for Women & Politics and go to breakfasts hosted by the Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship. We take classes in Feminist Theory and Ecofeminist Literature.

We were all girls who dreamed of getting the education we are now. We all waited at mailboxes for our acceptance/rejection letters, we applied for scholarships, we dutifully wore our name badges during orientation, we’ve spent hours in the pages of a book or at the keyboard of a computer. And we all could not be more grateful for where we are.

As women from all over the world getting the education we dreamed of, we owe it to those 66 million girls to help them get the education they deserve.

10×10 is an organization working to unite the world behind a mission: giving every girl in every country an education. Their film, Girl Rising, is their first major step to raise awareness and build momentum.

Directed by Academy Award-nominated Richard E. Robbins and produced by award-winning former ABC news journalists, Girl Rising tells the stories of 9 extraordinary girls fighting for the change we all hope to see. Through the generosity of Intel, Her Campus is able to present a screening to the entire Chatham community on Wednesday, May 8 at 7pm in Beckwith Hall (on the ground floor of the Buhl Science Hall).

All we need is you: to watch, to listen, and to take what you learn and run with it.

As Girl Rising says, “One girl with courage is a revolution.”

Imagine what 922 of us can do.

For more information, you can visit our Facebook event page here.

The movie is approximately 101 minutes. Every member of the Chatham community (undergraduates, graduate students, faculty/staff members) are invited. Admission is free.

Please email maraflanagan@hercampus.com with any questions. 

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.