Caitlyn Schieneman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Caitlyn Schieneman

Year: Senior (2014)

What is your major, and how did you choose it?

My major is Environmental Science. I know for some people, choosing a major is a difficult decision, but for me, it was an obvious one. Throughout high school, I had a natural aptitude towards science. At the same time, I developed a compassion for nature and humanity in required religion classes. The intersection of science, nature, and wanting to help people led me to choose Environmental Science as a major. I feel that doing environmental research or education will fulfill my desire to share with people the connection I feel towards the environment and community building.

What’s your hometown, and what do you love about it?

Pittsburgh is my hometown. I grew up in the suburb of Hampton, then went to high school in the city at Oakland Catholic. Therefore, I had the opportunity to meet people from all over and become familiar with the city in a way that was special to me. For that reason, I have come to love the unmistakable sense of community that emanates from Pittsburgh. When I talk to any of my friends from Pittsburgh, we are able to relate to that hometown feel that usually isn’t associated with a large city. It is always nice to walk down the streets of Shadyside and feel like I am a part of something bigger than just me.

Why did you choose Chatham?

I chose Chatham because of the calm atmosphere and traditions that exist here. When looking for somewhere to transfer after my freshman year, Chatham was a perfect fit for my expectations. Rachel Carson’s legacy and Chatham’s commitment to the environment really drew me in. Being from Pittsburgh, I was able to nurture my academic goals at Chatham while still participating in the local community.

If you could assign everyone at Chatham one book to read, what would it be and why?

I would assign everyone at Chatham University to read the book Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. I was recommended the book by a mentor I had while studying abroad in Costa Rica, and the story really touched me. Now, I could have recommended a nonfiction book that would draw parallels between globalization, food security, and biodiveristy, which I think everyone should be aware of. However, I have chosen this book because of the literary beauty it encompasses. Whether someone is an Art major, a Political Science major, or a Biochemistry major, I think they should sit down with this book and read each sentence slowly, enjoying the thought the author put in to crafting something truly wonderful. By the end, you will fall in love with an eclectic story about the struggle of a set of twins in Ethiopia who find their place in the world living at a hospital. The point is not to read to get to the end, but to exercise your brain to appreciate the chapters as they unfold.

What was your childhood dream job?

I can remember really liking the Carnegie Science Center as a kid, and maybe wanted to be an astronaut or astronomer.

What’s your current dream job?

I do not have a specific dream job in mind. I do know that I love scientific processes of the environment and want to promote sustainability. Living somewhere abroad for a few years and doing sustainable development or environmental research is what I would like to do when I graduate.

What TV character would you want to be your best friend?

Honestly, I do not watch that much TV and cannot think of a character I would want as a best friend. I think a lot of the characters on TV fall into stereotypes and should not be idolized.

Suppose you could pick any musician or band to perform at your next birthday party. Who would you pick and why?

I would pick the Spring Standards to perform at my next birthday party. The indie band was introduced to me by my Dad a few years back, and we have seen them live a handful of times since. We have become sort of friends with the musicians and love supporting local artists trying to make it. It would mean a lot to me to have a band I feel close to perform at my birthday!

You have a friend coming to Pittsburgh for the day, and you can only take them to do one thing. What would it be?

I would take them to Schenley Park to go for a walk and sit on Flagstaff Hill. Schenley Park is one of my favorite places to explore in the City of Pittsburgh. My friends and I have spent countless days walking through the park, finding different spots to relax and doing yoga. I would love to share that experience with a visiting friend.

What do you love most about being a Chatham student?

I love the people I have met and the friendships I have made while being a student at Chatham. At Chatham University, we all come in on the common ground of being women who have strong values and want to do something in the world. Sitting at a table in Cafe Rachel, you will hear a plethora of fiery conversations about anything from women and sexuality to social justice issues. People at Chatham aren’t afraid to be who they are, and it has allowed me to be exactly who I want to be.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.