Attention Horror Fans: Top Trending Releases “100 Years of Zombie Evolution” Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

In the past few years, we’ve seen so many “100 Years Of…” Videos from various channels, whether it’s Cut’s famous “100 Years of Beauty” series featuring the evolution of beauty in several nations, to “100 Years of Fashion” videos and even a “100 Years of Exercise” video. Sure, these are good and fun (my favorite being the “100 Years of Beauty: Kyrgz (Kyrgzstan)” video from Limon), but have you ever wished for a video to show the historical evolution of say – zombies?

Well horror fans, stop what you’re doing and tune in right now because Top Trending has answered our requests and given us what we’ve all been waiting for. On February 2, the YouTube channel uploaded the wonderful “100 years of Zombie Evolution” video, tracking the progress of just how much the idea of the zombie has changed. Whether you’re die-hard horror fan or just incredibly fascinated by the lengths to which makeup and special effects artists go into creating the zombies we know, love, and are terrified by, this video takes an interesting inside look into how the image of the zombie has changed within pop culture since the early 20th century.

The video begins with the concept of “The Voodoo Zombie” as seen in the 1932 film “White Zombie” by Béla Lugosi to the Dying Light Volatile zombies of 2015, showcasing how the idea has transformed from a live human being turned into a zombie after consuming a special potion to something that seems as if it’s ripped straight from death metal or metalcore album and/or merchandise art.

Check out the video below and feel free to comment on which one of the zombies in this video was your favorite zombie. Enjoy!

Born in 1994, Ashe has tumbled in the woods, been attacked by animals and gotten lost on clear-cut trails in the search of an adventure. She enjoys nature in all aspects, fantasy novels and comics, and listens to music that is almost never in English.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.