Andrea Williams, President of the Chatham University Black Student Union (BSU)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Chatham’s Black Student Union has an extraordinary performance planned for tonight. At 7:30pm, the Eddy Theatre will host the BSU Showcase, a celebration of African-American art. “The BSU Showcase focuses on periods throughout history: Coming to America, The Awakening, and Modern Day & Age,” says Andrea Williams, BSU President. “Each performance, whether it is dancing, singing, stepping, or spoken word, will be portrayed in every segment.”

Williams has a major evening ahead of her: she says this is BSU’s biggest event since she joined the organization. After BSU’s advisor, Dr. McGreevey, suggested the showcase for the spring semester, Williams and executive team members Tasha Jordan and Kezia Saul have been working hard to make it happen. “The purpose of this showcase is to display the many talents of Blacks and how movements, words, and music has changed over time,” says Williams.

A Criminology major and Psychology minor, Williams joined BSU in her first year. “Being that I was attending a predominately white school, I wanted to be a part of a group that I would have the ability to relate to.” Now, as president, she’s a powerful leader on and off campus. A R.I.S.E. mentor and an active member of the Chatham Christian Fellowship, she works as an office assistant in the Chatham College for Women Dean’s Office and as an intern at Family Services of Western Pennsylvania. Even with a packed schedule, she’s still focused on growing BSU. “My work in BSU is important because I want women of color to feel that they have a place to go,” she says. “Not for security but for a resource. I want to see BSU grow, flourish, and be successful once I leave Chatham.”

Any interested students can stop by a BSU social event or business meeting to get involved. The organization is always looking for new members, and Williams is thrilled by the support she’s found on campus. “I like that Chatham is a small community where I can build close relationships with students and faculty,” she says. “The professors are great and very dependable, and there is always someone willing to lend a hand.”

You can attend the BSU Showcase tonight (February 7) at 7:30pm in the Eddy Theatre.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.