Alexis McKenna

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
Alexis McKenna is a student who is incredibly well rounded in the arts. A singer, actress, and artist, she’s an absolute showstopper. So we decided to sit down with her and ask how in the world she juggles it all.

Her Campus Chatham: What are you studying right now at Chatham?
Alexis McKenna: I’m majoring in visual arts and mini ring in psychology. My goal is to be an art therapist.

What organizations are you involved with at Chatham?
I am the secretary of the Artist Collective and a member of the Chatham Choir and Chatham Chamber Choir. I am also an employee at the Carriage House Smoothie Bar. 

How long have you been practicing art? What kind of training do you have?
I have been interested in art since I was little. I always enjoyed art as a way to relax and express myself. My training in art is grade school art classes. I took one art class every year from elementary school through high school. I took a few summer kids camp courses at Penn State in middle school. And I am now studying it in college.

What are some interesting things that the Artist Collective is up to this semester?
The artist collective is participating in Harvest Fun Fest on Halloween day. We will have a booth set up with a Spooky Bake Sale with Halloween themed goods made by members. We will also be participating in Mocktails. In the past we have made decorations for this Halloween tradition. As far as I know we are making a decoration for Mocktails. The AC also holds Extraction every year.

How would you describe your style of art?
I think my style of art varies depending on what medium I am using. But overall I love using colors. My two favorite mediums are painting and drawing. I enjoy painting landscapes and I love drawing intricate designs incorporating them into people and animals. I also like to use the influence of music into my artwork.

What would you say is your greatest accomplishment as an artist?
I wouldn’t say I have one great accomplishment. I would say I have many. Or at least they vary and change. One that I can think of is selling my art for the first time to Chatham students last year at Extraction. Another is the first time the printmaking professor here at Chatham called everyone over to look at one of my finished pieces. I have never done printmaking before and honestly until I took the class I didn’t even know what it was, but mid/late semester I got praised for the work I did. I struggled in that class so that was a big accomplishment for me personally. Honestly, I count any compliment I receive from my art professors and teachers as an accomplishment.

How long have you been singing? What kind of training do you have?
I have been singing since I was very young because I was introduced to musical theatre at a young age. I fell in love with music and have heavily participated in community theatre and school musicals ever since. I also participated in my school show choirs and music festivals. I also took private voice lessons during grade school and a few here at Chatham.

How did you get involved with the Chatham Choir and Chatham Chamber Choir?
I saw we had a choir when I was looking at Chatham my senior year of high school. I wanted to continue singing if I could because it was something I loved to do. Not all colleges have choirs and it gives students the opportunity to sing on a weekly basis.

You’ve been involved in theatre productions back home and on campus. About how many shows have you done in your life? What are some notable ones?
I have been in about 15 musicals and productions (give or take) A few memorable ones was A Christmas Carol and I got to perform that at the historic Mishler Theatre. That was big for me because it’s a beautiful, old theatre and I’ve been there seeing productions ever since I was little so getting to perform there (twice) was amazing. And my senior year of high school we did Grease and I was Frenchy. This was memorable because all of my closest friends were greasers as well.

What advice do you have for other people with an interest in performing—whether as a singer or an actor or both?
My advice to them is if you love it, acting or singing or something else entirely, never give it up. Ever. Share it with friends, family, future kids. I know I dragged quite a few friends into doing shows with me. It is an experience you can’t get anywhere else.

What are some goals you have for post-grad?
As of right now, my post grad plans consist of continuing school to get my Masters so I can be an art therapist.

How has Chatham changed your life?
Chatham has given me wonderful opportunities. I have met a lot of great people and made wonderful friends. We definitely share a lot of crazy memories. And there will be plenty more I’m sure.

What do you love most about Chatham?
I love how beautiful Chatham is. No matter what season it is—whether it is 90 degrees or below 0, Chatham always looks flawless.

SPEED ROUND:

What’s your favorite drink at Café Rachel? 
Cafe mocha with a peppermint shot

What’s the best advice you’ve received from a Chatham professor or faculty member?
I’m going to go with Dr. Boyd.  When doubting if I was taking the right career path, he gave me stereotypical adult advice and said I didn’t have to know yet. And that even though everything seems horrifying and it feels like nothing is working out, it will in the end. And that not knowing what you want to do right now is okay. Even though that’s what every adult/parent says when you’re panicking about your future, hearing it from someone who’s not your parent and doesn’t feel obligated to tell you that, and that they experienced that feeling them self was comforting and helpful.

If you had to read one book for the rest of your life, what would it be? 
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

If you could meet one female artist—dead or alive—who would it be?
Audrey Flack

All photos courtesy of Alexis McKenna.

Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.