Advice from 2011 Campus Celebrities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

As 2012 comes to a close, we’ll be doing a lot of looking back. Here, we’re sharing some of our favorite advice from our 2011 Campus Celebrities; we’ll be featuring our 2012 Celebrities in a future article. 

Published Writer Jessica Sanfilippo on writer’s block:

I step away for hours at a time. If I’m too frustrated, nothing will come. This happens to me in relation to academic writing. I rather creatively write but that does not always work. 

Artist and Environmental Advocate Shannon Ward on sustainability:

I’m a person who believes strongly that people should always take responsibility for what they have done. It’s surprising how little people would have to do individually if everyone could just pitch in a little bit.

Young Alumni Award Winner Ms. Regina Manzana-Sawhney on studying abroad:

I encourage going abroad. It’s a valuable experience to try in college and beyond. It takes you out of what you know and forces you to look at things from another perspective.

Professor of Music and Wilkins Township Commissioner Dr. Michael Boyd on studying music:

If you take the broad swathe of what you’re studying seriously and come out of school with good written and oral communication skills, you can be qualified to do a number of different things both in and out of music. I think musicians also work well in a lot of jobs because we’re able to think about on-the-spot performance, we’re good at multitasking and we work really hard. To sit in a practice room for 4 to 8 hours a day takes determination and that translates to a lot of different areas.

All Faith Gathering Leader Rev. Dr. Gail Ransom on prayer:

Prayer can be with your arms open, prayer can be a dance, prayer can be a song, prayer can be meditative syllables. You can have a prayer of joy, you can feel something just pop out of your heart.

Educator and Writer Katie Marie Walters on reading:

I have always loved books and loved reading. There is nothing better than getting lost in a library, finding yourself behind a stack of books and disappearing for hours inside a story. Everyone should have that experience, and I want to help make it that way.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.