Accepted Student Day at Chatham University: Tips from Current Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Future Cougars: Chatham University’s Accepted Student Days this year are on March 22 and April 12. Even if you’ve visited before, this is an incredible opportunity to immerse yourself in the campus culture. Nervous? Here’s some advice from current Chatham students.

1. Explore on your own.

Or with a family member. Or a friend. Just walk around! “Even if you’ve already visited Chatham, you can never be too familiar with the campus before arriving,” says Gretchen Geibel ’15. “For me, Accepted Student Day was a way to really explore campus a little more on my own. It made me a whole lot more comfortable when I got here in the fall!”

2. Prepare for your advising appointment.

One of the great benefits of attending Accepted Student Day is connecting with a faculty member. They may not be your advisor for all four years, but they’re an incredible resource. Poke around Chatham’s online list of majors and see what classes are required (bonus points if you actually look up courses in the Chatham University catalog!). You’ll be able to ask your advisor specific questions and make the most of a brief meeting.

3. Ask everyone you meet one question.

Professors. Staff members. Current students. They’re all there for you, and they want to answer your questions (really!). Not only will you get to talk with some pretty cool people, but you’ll probably make new friends. “That way, when the school year starts, you will already have a footing with the community,” says Shannon Ward ’14. “You’ll come back to campus to find familiar faces instead of strangers.”

4. Take every tour you have time for.

A campus tour is a fabulous way to acquaint yourself with your surroundings. Make it a personal goal to go on as many as possible. Take the residence halls tour if you’re planning to live on campus: no matter where your room is, you can still scope out the cool lounges in every building. The Sustainability Tour is a fabulous opportunity to hear about what Chatham is doing to carry on alumna Rachel Carson’s message of environmental stewardship. If you’re new to the city, the Pittsburgh Community Tour will connect you to all of the cool things you have to do (and trust us, the list is definitely endless). Feeling really adventurous? The Eden Hall Campus Tour will feel like a rural retreat – an exciting midday excursion!

And 5?

Take a deep breath.

Don’t stress over the impression you make. Chatham is a family, and we’re wildly excited to welcome you into it.

Click here to register for an upcoming Accepted Student Day. Interested in applying to Chatham? Click here to visit the Admission site.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.