9 Things to Do Now for Your Best Summer Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

We’ve returned our textbook rentals, stashed away our notes and thrown out stray takeout containers. When Finals Week ends, Chatham students are definitely ready for Maymester! Here are nine things you can do over the next few weeks to gear up for your best summer ever.

Revamp Your Diet.

During Finals Week, your stack of textbooks is about as high as the stack of pizza boxes in your room. This spring, opt for food that doesn’t come in a cardboard box. A perpetual Chatham favorite? Chipotle. Their commitment to high-quality ingredients and healthy eating make us feel good diving into a burrito bowl after a yoga class by the pond.

Move.

The AFC offers us a convenient way to stay fit while classes are in session, but it’s crucial to strategize how you’ll stay active during summer months at home. We’re pumped to try Crunch Live, an online gym created by the pros behind Crunch Gym. From pilates to cardio, they’ll keep you in shape so you’re prepared to tackle fall wellness classes.

Refresh Your Closet.

You’ve practically lived in Cougar sweatshirts for the past eight months. Now that we’re not plowing through snow banks to get to class, it’s time to break out the flowing tops and breezy skirts! Is your on-campus closet filled with fleece? Pick up a few summer-appropriate staples to get you through the next few weeks. We’re digging the looks in Boohoo’s Stylefix. From dazzling Loren Shorts to the sleek Loreli Top, we’re in love with this season’s laid-back elegance. Check out their collection online!

Try a New Look.

Between student org meetings and study sessions, it’s easy to adopt a simplified routine just to get you through the day. Now that spring is here, we’re all about experimentation: neon eyeliner, glittering nails and brilliantly bright lips are all on our beauty menu. A new addition to the list: temporary tattoos! Blink Tattoos dreams up delicate, metallic designs for an eye-catching addition to any picnic or festival ensemble.

Prep for Next Year.

What surprised you this year? A disagreement with a roommate? A tough internship interview? A last-minute decision to study abroad? Take some time to think through what caught you off guard this semester to ensure that you’re totally prepared for the fall. The Her Campus Guide to College Life can walk you through it, offering advice on everything from parties to professors.  

Create an Emergency Kit.

Whether you’re camping, hiking or kicking back on the beach this summer, it’s critical to pack everything you need to stay safe. Do an online search to discover what items should go in your personalized kit. We’re grateful to Boohoo for the pink and yellow ponchos: staying dry never seemed so fashionable!

Revisit Your Finances.

We plan for Spring Break, write checks for textbooks and plow through our taxes, but how much do we really know about what’s in our bank account? Setting aside time during Maymester to look closely at your financial situation will put you on track for a stress-free summer. To get started, try following the 12-step plan outlined in Rich Bitch by Nicole Lapin. Her friendly coaching will help you enjoy your time off without burning through your budget. 

Get a Job.

Of course, managing your finances is a lot more fun when you’ve got extra spending money! Even if you’re working on campus or waiting tables in Shadyside, taking on a side gig can be a great way to fund your morning (and afternoon, and evening) Café Rachel runs. Try applying for Chloe + Isabel’s c+I GEM program. They’ll give you the training you need to sell gorgeous jewelry to other stylish students.

Celebrate Yourself.

Whatever you’re celebrating – graduation, straight As or new friends – we’re proud of you for finishing the year strong. You did it!

How do you #CelebrateYourself? Let us know in the comments!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.