7 Ways to Get the Most Out Of a College Open House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

It’s Open House season at Chatham! Over the next few weeks, prospective students will traverse Woodland Road for the first time. Get the most out of the experience with these seven tips.

1. Arrive early.

An Open House is one of the more informal admissions events, but you won’t want to rush into it! Give yourself a window of at least ten minutes between parking your car and checking in: you’ll be able to touch up your makeup, eat a quick snack or just take a moment to relax.

2. Put your phone away.

When you enter a room full of new people, it’s tempting to scroll through Facebook on your iPhone instead of making awkward eye contact (something I’m definitely guilty of). Don’t give in! Many Chatham students meet their first friends (and sometimes future roommates) at admissions events. Feeling uncomfortable? Whenever you spot someone who looks a bit nervous, give them a smile. It’s often enough to spark a conversation!

3. Seek out professors and students in your program.

During an Open House, each department is generally well-represented. Share your intended major with a staff member; they’ll be happy to connect you with someone who shares your interests! Undecided? Ask students how they chose their areas of study. It’ll help you get a better sense of what direction to take in your first year.

4. Embrace the Ambassadors!

Chatham’s Ambassadors are going to be extremely open to conversation. It’s literally their job to answer your questions, so don’t hesitate! They have a strong grasp of the history and traditions of Chatham, and they’ll be able to give you advice on everything from applications to student life.

5. Take pictures.

Photograph your favorite residence hall, snap a shot of Chapel Hill, and grab a pic of a classroom building you love. Not only will you have keepsakes from your on-campus experience, but you’ll also be able to remember exactly what stood out to you during your visit.

6. Don’t leave right after the Open House.

After the event ends, head to Café Rachel for a cup of coffee and conversation. If you’re unwinding alone, journal your thoughts from the day. If you’ve got friends or family with you, take the time to discuss what stood out to you. Write down the things you liked, any concerns you had, and anything you’d like to learn more about.

7. Follow up.

We’ve all been there: as soon as an admissions event ends, a ton of questions come to mind. Don’t be shy about asking them! Email the admissions department or contact any students who gave you their email. If you’d like to ask a specific professor or staff member a question, feel free to request contact info from admissions – they’ll be thrilled that you want to learn more!

For information on all upcoming events, visit Admissions online.

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.