5 Infrequently Discussed Classics That English Majors Think You Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

1. 1984 by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four follows Winston, a man who is living in dystopian Airstrip One (formerly Great Britain) but refuses to conform to the control and doublethink of the leader Big Brother. He falls in with a resistance group, or so he believes.

Why You Should Read It: Okay, so Nineteen Eighty-Four isn’t exactly rarely discussed, but especially with the United States’ current political climate, this book is more important than ever. Even George Orwell couldn’t predict Donald Trump, but it’s beginning to seem like he came pretty close with Big Brother.

2. The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver is another dystopian novel following a twelve-year old boy named Jonas. His society has eradicated emotions in order to create what they believe to be a utopia. Jonas is assigned to be the new Giver and begins taking all of the memories of the past from the previous Giver. The Giver is the only way that emotions are kept alive.

Why You Should Read It: In a time with a lot of dystopian literature, The Giver was one of the first, and it also has an otherworldly sense to it. There’s a dreamlike quality to it, very dissimilar to Nineteen Eighty-Four. This book transcends reality in a way that few novels manage.

3. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders is a novel about two opposing gangs, the Greasers and the Socs, and is narrated by a young member of the Greasers, Ponyboy Curtis. Ponyboy tells the story of a major fight between the two gangs, spanning several weeks and resulting in deaths on both sides.

Why You Should Read It: Ponyboy is someone caught up in more than he can handle, and is doing the best he can under the circumstances. Many of his dilemmas will resonate with readers, even if they haven’t been in the middle of a gang war. Also, S.E. Hinton wrote most of it in high school, and it was published when she was 18 years old. Isn’t it bomb? It also includes the classic line, “Stay gold, Ponyboy.”

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief, which is narrated by death, follows Liesel, a young girl trying to save books from being burned in Nazi Germany. Her family is also harboring a Jewish man, who is the one who teaches Liesel to read and fosters her love of books, but his presence also puts her and her family in danger.

Why You Should Read It: Aside from being brilliantly written, The Book Thief is about a love of books, perfect for any book lover. It also deals with themes of love and loss in an incredibly poignant way, as well as depicting the lives of people not often talked about in history—those who quietly resisted Nazi rule.

5. The Princess Bride by William Goldman

In the beginning of this classic tale of true love and high adventure we are introduced to Buttercup and Westley (called “Farm Boy” for the first few chapters), who fall deeply in love. However, when Westley goes to America to seek his fortune, Prince Humperdinck hears that Buttercup is the most beautiful woman in the world and decides he must marry her. Things get complicated from there.

Why You Should Read It: Sometimes, you just need a good, funny book and The Princess Bride delivers that in spades. Goldman inserts his own comical takes on the story, supposedly written by S. Morgenstern and abridged by Goldman. This is a book that will keep you enthralled and laughing. Plus, the movie is great.

Claire Rhode is a junior double majoring in creative writing and history. She is the senior editor of Chatham's Her Campus chapter and also edits for Mighty Quill Books and the Minor Bird. You can also read her work on InMotion and Fauna's blogs.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.