12 Reasons Chatham Orientation Rocks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Thank you to Chatham students Rosemary Davies, Casey Deer, Jessica Sanfilippo, Shannon Ward, Stephanie Welling, and Onastasia Youssef for their contributions!

1. Moving In

Even if hauling half of your belongings up the stairs of a mansion is a bit of a workout, the enthusiasm of the Cougar Carriers makes it worth it.

Channel: ChathamU

2. Icebreakers

“They make you open up to people and learn about others at the same time,” says Amy Chau ’15. Worried about playing games with strangers? Stephanie Welling ’14 answers your concerns: “I’ve never liked orientation icebreakers/activities but they are, coincidentally, excellent icebreakers for whoever’s nearby. Bonding over not wanting to think of an adjective that begins with the first letter of your name that describes you can be quite fun.”

Photo: Stephanie Welling

3. Singing the Alma Mater Outside the President’s House

This is sort of your initiation to Chatham traditions, and it really is beautiful.

Channel: ChathamChannel

4. Volunteering

“The best part was volunteering at Eden Hall,” says Rosemary Davies ’16. “You get to see all of the neat, bustling change that is taking over the region. It made me excited about Chatham’s up-and-coming new, sustainable campus!” 

Photo: Thumim Nubia

5. Connecting With Student Organizations

The Communique. Legerdemain. Naturality. Want to know more about them? Check out the Student Activities Fair – you’ll sign up for more clubs than courses!

Photo: Mara Flanagan

6. The Class Photo

This is one of Onastasia Youssef’s favorites: no matter how funny it feels to squeeze into the frame with women you’ve just met, it’ll be a treat to look back on as a senior.

7. Opening Convocation

“It was a lot of fun and memorable!” says Casey Deer ’15. Expect good music, excellent speeches, and a whole lot of clapping!

Channel: Elizabeth D

8. Student Performances

Youssef loves the performances! There’s possibly nothing more delightful than seeing a Beyonce song performed by your Orientation Leaders or a dragon dance in honor of the Year of Vietnam.

Channel: Elizabeth D

9. Getting Your Macbook Pro

“Orientation was very fast-paced and enjoyable, but when I got my computer, I was able to keep in touch with my family and online friends,” says Shannon Ward ’15. “Even after a few days, I really missed talking with them.”

10. Global Focus Picnic

Whether you’re snacking on Scandinavian food or trying Vietnamese for the first time, the Global Focus picnic is a Sunday highlight for Youssef. Since it’s the Year of the Andes, expect serious deliciousness.

Photo: Thumim Nubia

11. Free T-Shirts

Jessica Sanfilippo ’15 liked getting the t-shirts – they’ll make good keepsakes.

12. Meeting Everyone

Stephanie Welling says, in the end, connecting with classmates is what it’s all about. They’re your sisters, and you’ll love them faster than you’ll believe.

Channel: ChathamChannel

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.