Why Not To Watch 13 Reasons Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Jay Asher’s beautifully tragic novel, 13 Reasons Why, has finally debuted on Netflix. Loyal fans know that Asher’s book was a piece of literary genius that shed light on the complexities of the teenage experience. It is raw, it is powerful and it touches on crucial and widely underspoken themes. Needless to say, expectations for the miniseries ran high, but executive producer Selena Gomez failed us by Disney-fying and glorifying suicide…and it’s shameful.

Experts are disappointed in 13 Reasons Why‘s depiction of suicide, rape and bulllying, as they feel that it can provide false information and serve as a trigger for those struggling with mental illness, and they aren’t the only ones who feel so. One brave sophomore, Danielle Shorr, shares her reaction to the series, and her words call attention to how badly this show failed its sensitive viewers.

“I don’t think the show is a portrayal of mental illness,” Shorr said. “Instead, it depicts a scenario of external factors that lead to suicide. Suicide can undoubtedly happen as a result of bullying, events, etc. but it’s a shame and just inaccurate for the show to attempt to speak for those with mental illness. It is also triggering, not in a sense of which the material is too much to handle, but that it was clearly made without thinking of its consequences.”

13 Reasons Why tells the tale of a vengeful teenager eager to get even with those who have wronged her, and the vehicle for which she chooses to do so is deeply disturbing. She fulfills this dark and contentious mission by personally calling out her schoolmates on their flaws, and then in a final act of vengeance, she takes her own life. The audience is left with a bad taste in their mouths throughout the duration of the entire series, and many feel that Gomez is to blame.

“The portrayal of suicide as a revenge fantasy could definitely inspire its teen audience in a negative way,” Shorr said. “There is no romance to its reality. 13 Reasons Why also tries its hand at sexual harrassment and rape, extremely serious societal issues that must be depicted in a tasteful and respectful manner in order to spread awareness and create an effective message. The rape scenes as well were done without a clear thought as to how it might be triggering to a young audience.”

When all is said and done, there are more than 13 reasons why to steer clear of 13 Reasons Why. Jay Asher’s novel held immense potential, but once it fell into Gomez’s hands, it was doomed. When dealing with very delicate issues that affect so many young people, thought, care and respect must be implemented into the process. By manifesting depression into a journey of revenge, 13 Resons Why fails to teach its young audience about the very real truths about being in such a dark place that suicide is the only answer that makes sense. Simply stated, 13 Reasons Why is a travesty in of itself, and it’s a dangerous one.

“I just think that the show crosses too many unnecessary boundaries, meshing together certain topics in an attempt to portray mental illness, which it doesn’t do,” Shorr said. “Depression is apathetic, and suicide should not be portrayed as an outlet that will make one memorable and unforgotten in legacy.”

For young people reading this, please know that suicide is never the answer. There is always someone who cares, and it will get better. While she is the series protagonist, Hannah Baker is not someone to look up to. She tells a story of sadness and vengeance, and her ending does not need to be yours as well. There is nothing beautiful and satisfying about death. For immediate assistance, please call: 1-800-273-8255.