david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!” Has Remained A Classic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Every year, millions of people, me included, sit down and watch the Halloween Classic, “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!” which celebrated its 50th anniversary last year; it’s stood the test of time. But what is it about “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!” makes it so, for lack of a better word, “great”? I have some theories.

1. It’s Timeless

Although this special first aired in the 60’s, there’s not a lot of indication that it has to take place in the 60’s. There’s no real 60’s slang, and there’s minimal setting. I guess from the quality of the animation of the special, one could tell it’s older. However, for the most part, “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!” looks like it could take place anywhere at any time. All that matters is the autumnal environment, which it has an abundance of.

2. It’s Family-Friendly

So many Halloween-themed films and shows are too scary to show to a younger audience. However, “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!” is something suitable for all ages. It’s also only 20 minutes, so it can keep a child’s attention. However, just because kids can watch it doesn’t mean adults can’t. This special has a lot to offer. No matter how old you are, this special can be enjoyed by anybody.

3. The Story Is Still Great

The main reason why this special has held up is probably because every year, people come back to these great characters and the shenanigans they get into on Halloween night. The antics of Lucy, Linus, Sally, Charlie Brown, and of course Snoopy, make this special what it is. There are so many memorable things about it— Sally and Linus waiting unsuccessfully for the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown only getting rocks during trick or treating, and Snoopy’s Red Baron adventure. Everything about it is so fun.

So, no matter if you’re coming back for nostalgic reasons or just watching it for the first time, “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!” makes for a great special to watch for Halloween. It’s a classic through and through.