Why I Hated The Bachelor, But Couldn’t Stop Watching It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

I hate the Bachelor. I hate Nick especially. He is the most boring person I have ever seen in my life. I mean, I don’t know him personally, and frankly, neither do the women on the show. It lasts for about a month and a half? I know Nick the same amount these girls know Nick. And I don’t like him. Yes, he’s good looking, but that’s pretty much all he’s got. In this show, love is plastic. It’s not real. It’s set up in this alternate world that is nothing like how the normal world works.

Yet, I continue to watch. Obsessively. So why do I watch? Because there is part of me that hopes the concept of this show is real. I hope that someone will find love. I am sucked into this Bachelor void and I can’t get out because I happen to love the idea of love. The show taunts viewers into believing that everything is real. I mean the best part is seeing where they go on vacation every time they have a date.

But that isn’t what a date in real life is like! It’s almost like, I want to watch it because I want to have it. But then I think how pretentious the whole thing is. Ugh, why does this show do this to me. I’m already anticipating next season. No, I’m not sure I’m going to watch. It’s stupid. But it’s so good. I’ve got the angel and devil sitting on my shoulders telling me what to do. But even then, I know that I will end up watching this trash once more.