timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Introvert in College: How To Survive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

I hope if you’re reading this article it’s because you find yourself in a similar position to mine. I consider myself an ambivert; sometimes my energy comes from being around a lot of people, sometimes it doesn’t, and for those times when it doesn’t, it can feel like everyone else around me thinks there’s something wrong with me, but there’s not. If you are an introvert, and college stresses you out, don’t worry I’ve been there. I am still there.

In college you’re surrounded by people all of the time, whether it be by your freshman roommate, your friends, your professors, people in the cafeteria or the library, it seems like there’s never any place that isn’t full of vibrant energy. That type of situation is great for people that can handle it, but for me and maybe for you, that can get very exhausting. It’s okay. It’s perfectly fine to feel like you need to leave a space or say no to someone in order to be able to breathe.

To sum it all up, here are a couple of tips to help you out through your first week, first few months, or your whole college experience.

1. Don’t be afraid to say no: Sometimes you have to save your energy for things that matter. Don’t give yourself to something that stresses you out or that you don’t enjoy doing; no one can force you to do so.

2. Create or find a space where you can de-stress: Whether it be your room, the library, or a bench by a cute tree, you need to find a place to be able to go to and de-compress when the world becomes too much to handle.

3. Surround yourself with people that don’t mind introverts: Being around all extroverts can be a recipe for disaster if they expect you to keep up their speed all the time, so find some people that will accept who you are and what you want out of your experience there.

4. Speak up when necessary and don’t be afraid to lead: Just because you prefer to be alone sometimes doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy certain clubs or events. Don’t let being an introvert hurt your experience in college.

5. Renew your energy whenever you need to: Take time and listen to your body and mind; never do anything that doesn’t feel right, and if you feel like you need an extra night or hours to yourself then do it, never be afraid or embarrass to do so.