How to Make the Perfect Mixtape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Welcome to the art of the mixtape. You may think it’s an outdated art form but it’s not and it’s easier than ever with programs like Spotify and iTunes. Assembling a mixtape can show how much you care about a person, all it takes is time and attention to detail.

1. First think about the music this person likes. A good mixtape should include music they like and maybe introduce them to a few new songs you think they might like.

2. Assemble these songs in a playlist in a program of your choosing, this is like your rough draft. Since it’s the holidays throw in a couple of wintery songs if you please.

3. One of the most important steps is the order of the songs. You want to start things off with an exciting song to pump them up. If it’s for a friend, choose a song you would belt out in the car, this with is a good one for this spot. For the end you may want to be sentimental, so choose a song that has a special meaning to you and the person.

4. Once you think you’ve got it down, listen to a snippet of each song again in order. If you’re happy burn it to a CD!

5. This is the most fun part of the whole process. Find an old CD case and get rid of the cover and track listing (or you can buy a new one). Create your own album artwork, then be sure to write out a track listing so they know what they’re listening to!

Some suggested songs:

For Mom:

• Almost any song by Joni Mitchell
  • Moon River (Audrey Hepburn cover)
  • Dreams by Fleetwood Mac
  • Something in the Way She Moves by James Taylor

For Dad:

• Any band that’s name is a city or state (Boston, Kansas, Chicago etc.)
  • Something by the Beatles
  • You Can’t Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones
  • China Grove by the Doobie Brothers

For Friends:

• Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
  • Come on Eileen by the Dexys Midnight Runners
  • Any 00’s or 90’s throwback that you shamelessly know all the lyrics to
  • One or two of your current favorite songs