The Dos and Don’ts of Rebound Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

After a breakup, it’s hard dealing with feelings of lonliness, insecurity and missing having someone in your life. An easy way to ease your pain is to jump into a rebound relationship, but it can be disasterous if you aren’t careful. There are a few guidelines you should follow once you find your rebound:

Do:

Be clear about what you want from the relationship. Let your partner know where you’re at emotionally and define the ground rules of the relationship. Is it exclusive? Are you looking for something short-term? It’s important to stay on the same page to avoid any more hurt.

Don’t:

Reach out to your ex. The whole point of a rebound is to move on and think about a new person, so avoid as much contact as you can. Stay strong when you’re drunk on a Friday night or when you’re reminded of them. Sending that “I miss you” text will only make things harder.

Do:

Try new things! Now that you’re fresh out of a relationship filled with routines and familiarity, it’s time to experiment and have new experiences. If there’s a fun date activity (or something a little more scandalous) you’ve always wanted to try, now’s the time.

Don’t:

Hold unreasonable expectations. You can’t immediately switch from a long-term, committed relationship to a new fling and expect it to be exactly the same. You’re not going to feel the same level of comfort or stability, but be patient.

Do:

Let the relationship run its course. It might turn into something more than a rebound and, if you’re ready that, let it happen. Don’t shut down what could be an amazing relationship because of a fear of commitment. On the other hand, the casual nature of a rebound relationship makes it easy to end when the time comes. After a breakup, dealing with more pain and stress isn’t what you need, so end it when necessary.

Don’t:

Use the relationship to run away from your emotions. Rebound relationships work well to distract you from the absence of your ex, but remember to process what you’re feeling.