This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Chapman University’s Dodge College held its annual Women In Focus panel this past Friday. The event brings in panelists from the entertainment industry to talk about their personal experiences and struggles they have faced as a woman in a male dominated industry.

This year’s panel was moderated by former Dodge teacher, Dawn Taubin and she was joined by five women: Kerry Ehrin (Friday Night Lights, Parenthood, Bates Motel), Deena Katz (Dancing with the Stars), Debra Martin Chase (Princess Diaries, The Cheetah Girls), Robin Schiff (Romy And Michele’s High School Reunion), Janine Sherman Barrois (Criminal Minds).

Within the past year, the percentage of women making up the industry has decreased. This year’s panelists discussed how they achieved their success and they offered advice to young women entering the industry.

“When I go into a room with all males, I make sure the first thing I say is something really intelligent so that’s their first impression of me,” said Chase.

Schiff told the audience to seek out a mentor. Find someone on your favorite TV show with a produce title (maybe not executive) and reach out to him or her. Ask to buy them coffee and hear about their experiences.

The panelists’ credits speak for themselves and the event was widely received with students filling Dodge’s Folino Theater.