This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Every college girl knows how frustrating it can be trying to look on-point while attempting to maintain a reasonable budget. Luckily, no one has to break the bank to look like a million bucks.

1. Picking the Right Stores

Shopping at stores such as Forever 21, H&M and online stores such as BooHoo and MissGuided can save the big bucks that are charged at higher name brand shops. Plato’s Closet, Buffalo Exchange, and other thrift stores are going to be your wallet’s best friend. They take more time and dedication but can reveal great finds for only a few dollars. Always remember to ask stores for student discounts—you’ll be surprised with how much money you can save!

2. Trend Tendencies

Try to stay away from always following trends; find your own individual style and embrace your individuality. Trendy clothes tend to come with a higher price tag. Refrain from buying the top brands, and rely on less expensive alternatives from secondhand or discount stores. They will most likely have the same cute clothes for a fraction of the cost.

3. Build your Basics

Owning staples in your closet is essential. So try and stock your closet with basic neutral tops, reliable denim, versatile jackets and a few simple dresses that can be dressed down for class or up for a night out. When shopping, always consider the clothes before you buy them. Imagine the different outfits the item can be paired with before making the commitment to put your dollar down.

4. Less is More

Pairing an oversized grey tee with jeans can look expensive depending on how you wear the two! Half tucking in the tee can instantly make a look more put together without having to go the extra mile with your dollar.

5. Accessorizing is Key

A statement necklace and a few bracelets can trick the eye into thinking any outfit is put-together. Experiment with jewelry, scarves and even different handbags to find your accessory style and what works for you.

6. Don’t Forget the Hair

Sometimes styling hair can be difficult and take extra time in the morning; however, it will make a massive difference in your appearance. Prepping hair the night before will save tons of time in the morning, and the promise of a put-together look.

In the end, do what feels right for you. Have fun expressing your style and don’t stress about the little things!