Campus Cutie MJ Nelson ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Major: Business Management 

Class: Junior

Age: 20

Hometown: San Diego, CA

Relationship status: Single

Affiliation: Beta Theta Pi (Beta)

What is your favorite thing you’ve been a part of at Chapman:

My favorite thing that I have been a part of at Chapman is Office of Housing and Residence Life because I love being an RA. Getting to help freshmen make it through their first year at Chapman and make memories as they go along puts the biggest smile on my face.

Tell us the story about your first kiss:

Well, it was in 8th grade and school had just gotten out. I met up with Ashely (my girl of choice at the time) in between two rows of lockers. I told her I had something for her and that she should close her eyes and hold out her hands. I then rustled my backpack to make it seem like I was getting her something. I paused after a couple seconds and leaned in to kiss her. Oh boy, I did not realize how short she was. I got about 30% lip and 70% nose and we both started laughing. I was blushing like a fool filled with embarrassment. We gave it another go and it went much better.

Best and worst parts about being an RA?

The best part of being an RA is all of the friendships you get to make. I absolutely love my residents and really enjoy hanging out with them. The worst part of being an RA is being put in a situation where you have to write up your friends. You just feel horrible, but it’s your job, and their need to turn up doesn’t really trump free room and board. Oh well.

What is your spirit animal and why:

Definitely a dolphin! I love the ocean, attention, and making loud noises. It’s perfect for me.

Tell us something we don’t know about you:

When I was three I fell off a ten foot wall and landed on my head. As a result of that, I developed a spike on the back of my head that protrudes out a bit.

What is your favorite physical feature about yourself and your favorite personality trait:

My favorite physical feature about myself are my eyes because they are blue and I can make them dance. My favorite personality trait about myself is when I meet a new person I go into it completely open to the fact that I could be best friends with this person and we could make some great memories together. I just really like making friends.