nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Ways to Spice up Your Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. Use a unique fontDon’t go crazy on the fonts, but using a unique one can make all the difference! You don’t have to stick with Times New Roman. This is a good way to show your personality. You can also have more than one font, just keep it to a minimum.

2. Don’t be afraid to add some colorA pop of color will surprise a reader and will make you stand out from a black and white resume. This can be as subtle as making the title of each section a specific color or maybe your name and contact information. However, be careful with readability. Sometimes companies print out your resumes and if you put black type on a blue background, their may be problems.

3. Create an interesting format/layoutYou can organize your resume in any way you like. It does not have to be standard paragraphs. Use shapes and different font sizes to make the page interesting to look at!

4. Add some shapesAs I said in the last tip, play with shapes! For example, you can put your “experience” in a box or your “skills” in a circle.

5. Play with interesting backgroundsThis is something a little tricky to do but if you succeed, it will make your resume stand out for sure. This can be subtle with some color or you can go all out with a design idea.

6. Be clear and to the pointImagine if you were the one reading hundreds of resumes in a limited amount of time. You would want it to be easy and quick right? Make it easy for the reader to understand what you are saying by writing in concise and direct language. Do not be wordy and keep it simple!

7. Have it mirror your job interestIf you are interested in an art job, show your creativity through your resume. If you are interested in a photography job, add some pictures. Have your resume mirror you and thus your interests that apply to that job. Don’t just say, show!

Jacky is an Advertising and Public Relations major at Chapman UniversityInsta: jackysalome