5 Things You Learn From Living With a Roommate (As Told By An Only Child)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Freshman year comes with so many changes- leaving home, learning to take care of yourself on your own, and living with a roommate, perhaps even two. Personally, I have been blessed with an awesome roommate, and I’m not sure if it is simply luck, but I have definitely taken advantage of it. Living with a roommate can be difficult for anyone though, and even though my own relationship with my roommate is great, it doesn’t mean that I haven’t learned new things. Actually, as an only child, I’ve learned quite a bit.

1. Communication is key: Communicating with your roommate is incredibly important. Do you think they aren’t being responsible? Tell them. Are they being too loud when listening to music? Tell them. If you do not communicate your feelings, you will never fix or accomplish anything. Also, this doesn’t need to be a negative thing- communicate about perhaps going out on a roommate date or something fun. No matter what you guys talk about, make sure to be upfront, and sooner the better! 

2. Keep up with your room’s cleanliness. You’d be surprised at how quick my room gets dirty. With clothes on the floor and make up brushes or pencils spread across the desk, a room can grow from being an organized place to get away into a pigsty. Especially when two or more people live in one room, things seem to pile up, like the trash. Always stay on top of organizing your own stuff, cleaning the bathroom, and taking out the trash because before you know it, you won’t be able to see your room.

3. Having someone living with you all the time kind of makes you into an extrovert. Back home, being an only child meant coming home from school and recieving time to just kick back and relax without anyone around. I can definitely say that being an only child has influenced me to be an introvert, but ever since living with a roommate, I have grown to be an extrovert thanks to the constant rush of people in my hall and room. However, it is also important to make time for yourself and to take care of yourself. When your roommate has class, take that time to perhaps clean up or paint your nails or even watch some Netflix.

4. Sharing really is caring. I know some people are posessive about certain things, and that’s alright, but it is nice to have another person with you who has extra stuff. Did you lose your nail clippers? Your roommate probably has a pair. Did you forget to buy your favorite snack? Your roommate probably has it, or perhaps a different snack. Having a roommate means having someone whose got your back, but you need to have your back just as much.

5. Only you can make the best out of the situation. Roommate situations don’t always work out, and unfortunately they can’t always be fixed. However, it really is up to you and your roommate to make the best of the situation. Take the time to get to know eachother and your boundaries. My roommate and I never really set up any rules; we just saw how our values and lifestyles aligned and it ended up working out just perfectly. Also, if you feel like your roommate and you are almost on good terms, take the time to just go on roommate dates to get frozen yogurt or Chipotle.