18 Reminders For Those At Age 18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

1. Be happy.

“There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don’t. Life is too short to be anything but happy.” -José N. Harris

2. Let yourself change and grow.

“I know this transformation is painful, but you’re not falling apart; you’re just falling into something different, with a new capacity to be beautiful.” -William C. Hannan

3. Work hard.

“Be like a duck, paddling and working very hard inside the water, but what everyone sees is a smiling and calm face.” -Manoj Arora

4. Don’t be passive.

“Do not accept an evil you can change.” -E. Lockhart

5. It’s okay to lose people and things, but don’t let it put your life on hold.

“It happens to everyone as they grow up. You find out who you are and what you want, and then you realize that people you’ve known forever don’t see things the way you do. So you keep the wonderful memories, but find yourself moving on.” -Nicholas Sparks

6. Stop being fake to avoid being real.

“You’ll never know who you are unless you shed who you pretend to be.” -Vironika Tugaleva

7. Love yourself, and know that you can’t control if others do.

“About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won’t like you at all.” -Rita Mae Brown 

8. It’s okay to hit rock bottom.

“You must know nothing before you can learn something, and be empty before you can be filled. Is not the emptiness of the bowl what makes it useful?” -Lloyd Alexander

9. It’s okay to cry.

“Do not apologize for crying. Without this emotion, we are only robots.” -Elizabeth Gilbert

10. Be generous, not just to yourself but to those who surround you.

“It’s not enough to have lived. We should be determined to live for something. May I suggest that it be creating joy for others, sharing what we have for the betterment of personkind, bringing hope to the lost and love to the lonely.” -Leo Buscaglia

11. Every situation that arises in life is temporary.

“It was me who had to carry myself over the finish line, and all I needed to remember when I felt like not trying was that that feeling wouldn’t last forever.” -Jennifer L. Armentrout 

12. You will get past failure.

“Stay strong; disappointments will not stay for that long. Wipe away your tears; be ready to receive cheers from people all over the world, beginning from you!” -Israelmore Ayivor

13. Don’t forget to stay grounded and practice being mindful.

“Mind is a flexible mirror. Adjust it to see a better world.” -Amit Ray

14. Worry will eat you up if you let it; don’t carry tomorrow into today.

“Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose” -Lyndon B. Johnson

15. Listen to everyone you meet with a mind that is ready to learn.

“The biggest communication problem is we don’t listen to understand. We listen to reply.” -Unknown

16. You’re not going to be able to please everyone, no matter how hard you try.

“Don’t go into the business of pleasing people. You can’t please everybody. Simply do your best at what you do.” -Bangambiki Habyarimana

17. Don’t forget to take care of your body too.

“A healthy outside starts from the inside.” -Robert Urich

18. But go out and party while you can still avoid hangovers!

“The stars glittered in the sky and as the number of people at the party grew, there were merging conversations and laughter and bodies moving in outlines around the kegs of beer in a curtsy of youth.” -Daniel Amory

Pyper Hayden is a freshman at Chapman University. She is a Creative Writing major from San Carlos, California. In her free time, she enjoys eating “good”* food, making people laugh, and performing. Pyper has been writing since high school, finding specific passions in genres including: horror, romance, and playwriting. She aspires to one day have her script(s) produced by a high-end theatre company. *“Good food” = pasta (she’s picky!)