10 Things You Need To Stop Telling Yourself About Sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

​People are talking more and more about sex these days, and in a more open way. It’s important that you communicate with yourself in the same manner. 

1. That you shouldn’t talk or think about sex.

Who are we kidding? Sex is a completely natural, normal thing to think or fantasize about. After all, we wouldn’t be here without it. Don’t ever lt anyone make you feel bad about the way you feel, or for the things you want.

2. That you need to have sex to be a good partner

If you don’t want to have sex, don’t. It doesn’t matter if you met two minutes ago or if you’ve been married for 50 years. If you don’t want to have sex, don’t. If your partner guilts you about it, it might be time to openly talk about it or find a partner who acknowledges that your sexual desires (or lack thereof) are just as important as theirs.

3. That you need to stick to your comfort zone

If you want to try something new, don’t be embarrassed. Its your body, and your desires are completely natural. Besides, you’ll never know how much you love something (or don’t) until you try it.  

4. That you don’t deserve, or won’t get, good sex if you put on weight

If someone EVER, EVER makes you feel bad about your body for ANY reason, you don’t need them in your life. You don’t need to look like a Victoria’s Secret model to have good sex, but you do need a supportive partner. You deserve good sex and a partner who respects you no matter what you look like. It’s like a basic human right.

5. That you need to be having more sex or less sex

If you aren’t very active sexually, and you like it that way, stay that way. Discovering what you like, how you like it and how often you like it is a personal decision that you should never be made to feel bad about. You do you, girl! And, if you’re very active sexually, and you like it that way, stay that way. The amount of sex you have does not define your worth.

6. That you’re an *expletive of choice* for what you like or don’t

What you like sexually, or what you don’t like sexually, does not define your worth or make you a slut, prude, any expletive you wish to use. Never let anyone make you feel a certain way for what you like or don’t like!!! You do you, girl.

7. That him losing his boner is your fault

Simply put, sh*t happens. It’s not always your fault that your partner loses it. That doesn’t mean he’s not into it, or that he doesn’t like you, but that, for whatever reason, his little guy just stopped. You can never know, but just remember that it isn’t you.

8. That you need to look certain ways or do certain things

Again, you do you. If you’re not into wearing lingerie or doing kinky maneuvers, don’t tell yourself that you should be. If you are, don’t feel bad about doing what you love.

9. That you’re okay with bad sex

If you don’t like the sex, say something. Your satisfaction and pleasure matter just as much as theirs does. Make sure you’re clear in your dissatisfaction of certain actions, or the lack of certain actions. Never allow yourself to be silenced because you fear how your partner will react. We all deserve a great partner who gives us good sex.

10. That you are okay with broken boundaries or limits

If you aren’t comfortable with broken boundaries or limits, say something. Silence gives your partner the idea that you may be okay with something that you aren’t. You deserve someone who respects your boundaries and limits, the way you do with theirs.