Winter Break Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you’re anything like me, during the semester, you’re stuck in a black hole. It’s classes, work, clubs, occasionally posting on instagram to remind people you’re alive… the real world seems pretty distant. I couldn’t tell you what shows are on, what movies have come out, and please don’t ask me the last time I read a book for fun (or at all, let’s be real).

But that’s what winter break is for. A whole month with no obligations. A perfect time to catch yourself up on everything happening outside of your college’s zip code. It can be overwhelming though, so I’ve created this guide on must see shows, must see movies and must hear albums to catch you up just in time for 2016!

TV Shows

Empire

Just when I thought it couldn’t get any better. This season has some great twists and turns that you won’t necessarily expect. Jamal really owns this season, but Hakeem has a few standout episodes, and they were probably the highlight for me!

How to watch: Hulu

Scandal

Now, even though Olivia Pope is my spirit animal, I can’t lie and act like this season wasn’t secretly trash. Didn’t really rock with most of the story line. BUT if you haven’t been watching faithfully on #TGIT, you owe it to yourself to catch yourself up with Fitz, OPA, and the rest of the gang. And of course, hope and pray to Shonda that the February return is better.

How to watch: Hulu

How To Get Away With Murder

THIS is the exact opposite of what happened with Scandal. I didn’t love HTGAWM before. But this season was nothing to play with. You can tell which show Shonda put her heart into and which got the leftovers. Put that Hulu subscription to good use and see just how crazy things can get with Annalise and her misguided students.

How to watch: Hulu

Master of None

My theory with new TV shows is give it 3 episodes. That’s on average how long it takes to get hooked. This was no exception. I love Aziz Ansari, so when I didn’t get this show the first few episodes, I was disappointed in myself. But, as the theory explains, episode 3 is when I was hooked. This show is witty and warm and everything you would expect from Ansari.

How to watch: Netflix

Movies

Creed

This is the movie everyone is talking about. A classic athlete story striving to be the best, starring the perfect Michael B. Jordan? Doesn’t get much better than that.

How to watch: It’s still in theaters!

Inside Out

Yes, this is a kid’s movie. YES, it is still a must-see. This movie personifies feelings and will surely get you into yours. It’s adorable and relatable, as most Pixar movies are!

How to watch: It’s out on DVD!

Music

25

Lowkey don’t even need an explanation for this… the numbers the album has done speaks for itself.

How to listen: It’s not streaming anywhere! So you’ll have to buy it.

Purpose

Also known as the album that made us all Bieber fans. This album just showcases how much he has grown up these past few years. Not to mention, he has some amazing features: Big Sean, Travis Scott, and more. AND my favorite song on here, “Love Yourself,” was co-written by Ed Sheeran!!!!!!

How to listen: Spotify

Before the Party

Chris Brown surprised us all by dropping this mixtape as a surprise while we wait patiently for Royalty. Your road trip back home after exams is the perfect time to tune into this 34-track (you read that right, 34, project! Brown never disappoints, so it will be worth your time.

How to listen: You can stream it on Complex’s website

Know-it-All

If you haven’t heard of Alessia Cara, now is the time to hop on the bandwagon. Her standout hit “Here” has been all over the radio since the spring, and her album does not disappoint. “Four Pink Walls” and “Seventeen” shows off the Toronto-native’s youthfulness and soul at the same time, a combination that will surely make her a success.

How to listen: Spotify

Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.