This Week in Pop Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Five quick recaps of this week’s biggest and best celebrity gossip.In the midst of midterms, papers and general mid-semester stress, I thought it would be a good idea to provide everyone with a healthy dose of celebrity gossip. So take a break, grab a snack and enjoy the shenanigans that are A-list Hollywood.1. Amanda Bynes

I thought the Amanda show ended years ago, but after this week of drama it seems that Amanda is providing us all with a something interesting to watch. Ms. Bynes has had quite the week, from announcing her engagement to a 19 year old (she’s 28), to announcing her plans to sue several major tabloids. Most of the action came out via Twitter rants regarding various, what she calls, ‘lies’ that the tabloids have spread about her… Anywho, make sure to stay tuned to the Amanda show to see what happens next!

2. The Real Housewives of New Jersey

In case you haven’t already heard, Teresa and Joe Giudice were both convicted of various crimes including fraud. Teresa will serve a little under a year and a half and Joe will serve three years. On the bright side… if there is one, the couple will not serve their sentences at the same time so one of them can be home with the children. During an interview with Andy Cohen on Watch What Happens Live, the couple said only their oldest daughter, Gia, knows they’re going to jail. Referring to her jail time, Teresa said her table flipping days are over… my real RHOJ fans know exactly what I’m referring to here.

3. Jelena

On a lighter note, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez or Jelena got back to their business of following and unfollowing each other on various social media sites. They also deleted a few Instagram pictures of each other. This isn’t unusual behavior for the endlessly feuding couple, but an interesting tweet from Bieber’s mother, Pattie Mallette really sparked media attention. The tweet says, “I know you love him. I know you need love. But… #DontBeAHomeWrecker.” There has been much speculation surrounding Kendall Jenner and the role she is or isn’t playing in the latest Jelena drama… what do you think? Was the tweet about Kendall? Only time will tell!

4. Dance Moms

I dont know about you but I can’t get enough of Lifetime’s hit show “Dance Moms.” If you’ve ever seen it you know 13-year old Paige Hyland. Allegedly, Paige is suing dance teacher Abby Lee Miller for emotional distress. The suit claims that Miller pinched Paige until she bled and her behavior led to Paige developing serious anxiety. Paige’s mom has already sued Abby in the past for similar claims against Paige. Yikes!

5. Gosbaby!

I thought I’d end things on a happy note and mention Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling’s baby. We can stop calling her Gosbaby because we now know her name is Esmeralda Amanda Gosling. Fun fact: Eva Mendes has played characters named both Esmeralda and Amanda! Now if we could only get our hands on some pictures…

HCXO and I hope you’ve left some of the mid-term stress behind!

Paige Hopkins

Chapel Hill

Paige Hopkins is a sophomore at UNC Chapel Hill from Charlotte, North Carolina. Paige is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor as well as the treasurer for the UNC chapter. She is a journalism major with a focus on reporting. She is interested in print journalism as well as broadcast. Paige loves all things fashion and beauty; she spends her free time reading magazines, writing for the arts desk for her school paper and online shopping. She also plays volleyball and enjoys watching sports, especially when the Heels are playing.