This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

This time of year is usually very stressful for college students because of papers, exams and just the everyday stress of life. Dealing with stress is important for mental wellness, and here are some ways that students at UNC deal with it.

Painting

Painting is a good way to let your mind wander while your hands work. Sometimes it’s good to ‘unwind and design.’ Plus, you’ve made something beautiful at the end!

Playing with Pets

Pets are good stress relievers. Sometimes you just need some unconditional love that only comes from your favorite animal. If you don’t have a furry friend on campus, consider volunteering at local animal shelters or attending one of the many campus events that host therapy dogs.

Cleaning the Your Living Space

An organized area around you helps clear your mind and let you focus. It also gives you a set task with a clear end result that makes you feel accomplished. An added benefit is that when your parents call to ask how you’re doing, you can truthfully tell them that your room is clean!

Taking a Nap

Sometimes the best way to de-stress is to simply turn your brain off, take a nap and give your mind some time to recover. It’s okay to take an hour off from everything and have some down time.

Listening to Music

Just chilling and listening to your favorite music can help you take a break from stress, and it gets your mind working in a different way, letting you refocus better when it’s time to work again.

Working Out

Whether it’s weightlifting, swimming or walking, working out is a great way to treat your body while treating your mind to a break. Plus, it gets your blood flowing and wakes you up a little.

Taking a Shower

Taking a shower can be a wonderful way to get your mind off of whatever is stressing them. Wash away your worries and the stress of the day, and have a fresh start for whatever you do next.

Reading

As college students, we don’t always have a lot of time to read for fun, but it’s super beneficial, especially if reading is something you’ve always loved doing! Taking a break from reality and exploring a whole new world is a good way to give your mind a break from your problems.

Snacking

Sometimes what your body needs is a good snack. Treat yourself to a healthy snack, fill your stomach and stimulate your mind.

Watching TV

Like reading, watching tv or gaming are a great ways to escape from reality and give your mind a break. It’s low-effort, and you can use it as a reward for getting work done, especially if you use the time to bond with friends as well!

What are your favorite ways to de-stress?

Hi all! My names Deborah Gardner. I'm a rising sophomore at UNC Chapel Hill. I'm majoring in Journalism and minoring in Creative Writing. I'm number seven in a family of eight.
Tessa Palmer

Chapel Hill

Tessa is a senior English major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She enjoys crocheting, watching Netflix, and petting fluffy animals.