Those Who Leave A Mark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As we grow up, people constantly enter and exit our lives. There are the ones you kicked a soccer ball around with in elementary school, the ones you awkwardly endured sex ed. with in middle school, the ones you counted down the days of high school left with, and then those who are about to dive into the real world with you upon graduation. Some people are only there for one phase, and some weave in and out. And then there are the ones who stick, the ones you just can’t get rid of…just kidding. Seriously though, those are the ones you should hold onto because they have held onto you through it all. No matter which phase, there are people we will never forget because of the permanent mark they made on our hearts.

The most important people in your life don’t have to be the ones that you have known the longest, but they are usually the ones that know you best. Maybe you didn’t learn to read together, but you went through your first heartbreak together. Maybe you haven’t been friends for more than a few years, but you have blossomed into adults together. Or maybe there’s just something about the person, something that just brings you back to them because it just feels right. No matter what the reason, they have all helped you grow as a person just by being a part of your life moments, big and small.

The ones that leave a mark are the people in our lives that we just can’t imagine not talking to, not knowing about their lives, and especially not having them incorporated into our own stories. Sometimes it’s unexplainable, just a weird fit that you can’t really put your finger on because they haven’t always been there, but you just feel right having them in your life whether or not it makes sense. Other times it’s obvious. They know about your every accomplishment, your every worry, every embarrassing moment that they could use against you, and even what seems like your every thought in some cases. Whether it’s someone you see twice a year or twice a day, each of us have had people make a lasting impact on our life journeys.

Lily Broming

Chapel Hill

Lily Broming is currently a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Economics and minoring in both Music and Social and Economic Justice. Though she is an economics student, she has always had a passion for writing and decided to dip her feet in the water by joining the UNC HC team in Spring 2014. Lily interned with Schwalb Public Relations and realized that writing might be something worth pursuing, so HC is the perfect opportunity to blend her passion for writing and her love of UNC. She has grown up with Mickey Mouse just a car ride away, so there is no surprise that she is absolutely obsessed with all things Disney. Lily loves singing in the shower (and anywhere else really), hair bows, spontaneous adventures, sweets galore, and anything music-related.