A Series of Unfortunate Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

In the midst of my busy schedule, stress of classes and overall student shenanigans, it is important to reflect.

In the past month:

• Two students that attend universities in North Carolina committed suicide.

• A 14-year-old named Ahmed was sent to a juvenile detention center because his love for robotics and development drove him to create a clock that was later suspected to be a bomb.

• (Let’s be honest, Ahmed’s appearance and religion influenced the actions taken by teachers and cops. Islamophobia is a real and unfortunate threat to the lives of people similar to Ahmed)

•  A professor at Mississippi’s Delta State University who was suspected in two murders killed himself.

• On an international scale, we can never forget ISIS and the civil war occurring in Syria or the thousands of Middle Eastern and African immigrants trying to escape unfortunate predicaments and cross over into places like France, Germany and the UK.

These are just a few unfortunate events that fall into a series of unfortunate events.

• I said this last semester in a blog post, and I unfortunately have to keep repeating it: it may be difficult to see any positivity in a sea of negativity.

• How does one make sense of the countless death and the social injustices of our world?

• Easy responses to the issues above may include: mental health awareness, diversity training, gun control, discrimination laws, etc. BUT does this really get to the core of the problem?

• As I sit and write, I think of my personal struggles and feel ashamed when I compare them to the struggles of others.

• I wish I had solutions. I wish I didn’t feel like I can never say or do anything that will lead to genuine change in our world.

• I am frustrated.

• I have to keep reminding myself that even the smallest efforts slowly chip away the dense pit of injustice.

• Join me and keep fighting.

Lanier Gray

Chapel Hill

Lanier is a Journalism major and Hispanic Studies minor at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Through coursework and extracurricular activities, she has developed an interest in advertising, public relations, and editorial news. In addition to writing for the Chapel Hill chapter of Her Campus, she explores and develops her passions by serving as the Director of Communications for the Campus Y: UNC’s center for social justice, and working as the public relations assistant manager and local public relations specialist for Natura Magazine. She enjoys covering campus life, pop culture, sports and lifestyle. Lanier hopes to continue learning more about journalism through her current experiences and through future internships.
Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.