Semester Reflection and Atypical Goal Setting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

With under four weeks left of the first semester in the 2014-2015 academic year, many students often take time for reflection. In addition to looking back, consideration of the future is also important and usually leads to goal setting.

Naturally, students typically set goals that involve a better grade point average, leadership roles and campus involvement, career development and networking. However, there are those who have goals that do not match the expected.

As a senior that only has one semester of college left, Katherine Hill hopes to soak up her final year at Carolina.

“Next semester, my main goal is to simply enjoy four more months in Chapel Hill. I plan to go to as many basketball games as possible, go on more runs throughout campus, spend time with those I care about, eat more Merritt’s, and slow down to appreciate the past four years and the position I am in right now,” said Hill.

Katherine (right) and her friends after a Tar Heel victory!

On the other hand, first year students new to UNC-Chapel Hill with many semesters left are still in the transitional phase, such as Lindsey Fisher.

“I am slowly learning to balance everything on my own and enjoy the independence. I am almost always surrounded by friends, but my goal for next semester is to spend more time alone,” said Fisher. “I plan to set aside time for self-reflection, and meditation to avoid burning out before the year is over.”

Lindsey

The goals of Dani Nicholson, a sophomore at UNC-CH, seem to encompass what many students on campus hope to accomplish.

“This upcoming spring, I want to believe in myself and all that I am capable of achieving. I often get caught up in the hustle and bustle of each day here at Carolina, which leads me to doubt my own abilities,” said Nicholson. “My goals are to keep believing in myself, and believing in others.”

Dani

Looking at oneself analytically will help to ensure a meaningful and pleasing life, so perhaps everyone should set aside time for atypical spring goal setting as the fall semester comes to an end.

Lanier Gray

Chapel Hill

Lanier is a Journalism major and Hispanic Studies minor at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Through coursework and extracurricular activities, she has developed an interest in advertising, public relations, and editorial news. In addition to writing for the Chapel Hill chapter of Her Campus, she explores and develops her passions by serving as the Director of Communications for the Campus Y: UNC’s center for social justice, and working as the public relations assistant manager and local public relations specialist for Natura Magazine. She enjoys covering campus life, pop culture, sports and lifestyle. Lanier hopes to continue learning more about journalism through her current experiences and through future internships.