Satisfy Your Pumpkin Cravings This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

PSA: it’s September! So, do you know what that means? Pumpkin season of course! Pumpkin flavored everything – pumpkin tastes and scents galore! And if you’re anything like me you’ve been counting down since the end of last fall until these glorious products would hit the shelves at your local grocery retailer again. There’s something about that distinct smell and incredible flavor that always has me wanting more, and luckily for me it seems as if every year there are new products and pumpkin goodies to try. So, this year I decided to do my research ahead of time, and I have already made a few trips to the store to stock up on some of my favorite stuff. It sells out fast folks, trust me!

Everybody in the food industry is jumping on board this fall flavor trend bandwagon, and I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of the products that I came across. I’m showcasing some of the best of the best pumpkin treats that you can try for yourself this fall, right here!

Pumpkin chips: crazy right?! But they’re actually delicious. Garden of Eatin’ specializes in organic snacks, and they recently released this fall flavor from their popular chip line. And take note that they aren’t the only company doing so… Way Better Snacks is another producer getting in on the pumpkin game with their Pumpkin Cranberry Tortilla Chips. In my opinion these chips offer the perfect mix of sweet and salty. They taste great on their own! The Garden of Eatin’ variety pairs well with a sweet and spicy mango salsa or a chunky guacamole—because everyone needs their daily dose of avocado!

Now this product is worthy of some recognition! College women go crazy for Greek yogurt nowadays – it’s a staple in my diet – and when I heard that Chobani was releasing a seasonal pumpkin flavor I had to pinch myself…was I dreaming? No. It’s true! This is Chobani’s “limited batch” fall flavor, so you better get it while it’s still on the shelves. Trader Joes also has a pumpkin flavored Greek yogurt, and Noosa carries one as well. Each has its own distinct taste, so you might just have to try them all for yourself in order to decide which yogurt reigns supreme.  Pair it with a piping hot bowl of pumpkin spice oatmeal, and that sounds like a breakfast of champions to me!

Spreadable pumpkin deliciousness has arrived, and cream cheese is only one of its many forms! With an array of pumpkin breads, muffins and bagels on sale this fall as well, this pumpkin spice cream cheese is sure to pair well with just about anything. But obviously peanut butter shouldn’t miss out on all of this pumpkin fun, so Jiff created something seasonal as well! Jif Peanut Butter launched a new product: Pumpkin Pie Spice Whips, and boy do these guys know what they’re doing. It’s the perfect combination of creamy, nutty sweetness, and it goes great with crackers, fruit or – my favorite – just right out of the container with an ice cold glass of milk!  

Chocolate and pumpkin go together so well, it should be illegal. But it’s not, so we can all enjoy these seasonal pumpkin spice m&m’s! If you’re not a candy corn gal like me, especially around Halloween, I always explore the candy aisle for something different that will satisfy my sweet tooth! And might I recommend you give Hershey’s Kisses pumpkin spice flavored candies a try! But quick – they won’t be on sale for long!

Lastly, but certainly not least, it’s a fall favorite that paved the way for all of these other products…the ultimate pumpkin treat: the Pumpkin Spice Latte. Whether you like it hot, iced or try it in Frappuccino form, this drink is sure to get you through those dreaded midterms, group projects and pre-holiday homework. And while Starbucks certainly draws a large crowd every year at PSL’s release date, your local coffee shop more than likely carries seasonal flavors that are just as delicious as well! It’s fun to switch it up – try something new – but just don’t forget to order a slice of pumpkin bread to enjoy along with your autumn-inspired beverage. You can never have enough pumpkin.

Lauren is a junior at UNC-Chapel Hill, majoring in business journalism with a minor in Spanish for the business professions. In addition to writing for HerCampus, Lauren is an assistant for Talking Biz News, a website for business journalists, where she helps curate content and raise money for the organization. Lauren also enjoys volunteering at the University Baptist Church and at La ISLA, an organization for Spanish-speaking children in her community. Some of Lauren's favorite pasttimes include running, traveling, cooking, eating new foods and writing.