Kick Ass in Life and Interviews (Because You’re a Woman)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Along with my mini panic attacks that come each time I realize I have no plans for next year, being a second semester senior comes with a constant overload of information. Information regarding graduation, career fairs, resume tips, grad school applications etc. etc. Being a student at UNC, where the majority of the student body is in fact female, most of us tend to not consider how our sex may affect our life and work prospects. I mean if the best university in the world accepts more women than men, then clearly we’ve got it made. Wrong. A simple peek at the facts may be a bit disheartening, but I believe it can (and should) also be used for personal motivation!

• As of May, women run only 12 of Forbes Fortune 500 companies. I repeat, 12. That is less than 3%. This is down from 15 last year.
  • In 2011, women held 16.1% of board seats in Fortune 500 companies. This is a small increase from the 14.6% women held in 2006.
  • The statistics are worse for minority women. African-American women comprised 5.2% of management, professional, and related occupations. Asian-American women comprised for 2.8% and Latinas for 3.7%.
  • In law, in 2011, women were 45.4% of all associates and 19.5% of all partners.
  • In 2010-2011, women earned 36.8% of MBAs.
  • As of March 2011, women earned 85% of their male counterparts wages. The wage gap widens with age as women over 53 on average earn 73% of men their age wages.

These statistics may be a bit disenchanting. Why would anyone want to make less money doing the same work as someone else, simply because you’re a woman? There are still many close minded people in the world that think women cannot become leaders or are not as intelligent as men. Think about the myth that attractive women must be dumb.  Is being attractive and intelligent seen as that much of a threat that it is impossible? Consider a guy trying to pick you up at a bar. One of the first questions anyone asks is always, “What are you studying?” My roommate, a very attractive woman, is majoring in physics with a minor in math and is on her way to study nuclear physics at grad school next year. If she tells this to the guy trying to pick her up, 99% of the time she gets one of the following reactions: “You’re lying, wait really?” “You’re too pretty to study physics.” “I’ve never met a hot physics major. Do all your teachers hit on you? Is that how you get good grades?”

If you’re reading this, do me a personal favor. Kick-ass in whatever you decide to do so we can prove the world wrong about women. No matter what year in school you are, you are soon to be scavenging the world for opportunities for internships or jobs. An important step in this process is interviewing. Women continuously walk a thin line in how they should present themselves in an interview. It is proven that most employers look for qualities generally associated with ‘men’ in their future employees such as being an assertive and confident leader. However, if you come off too ‘manly,’ then your femininity is put into question. Think about Hilary Clinton and Sarah Palin. The press constantly criticized Clinton for being too ‘manly’ in her actions and dress, while Palin was criticized for being too ‘sexy.’ Regardless of your political opinions, the point is both were negatively put in the spotlight in ways that would never occur for their male counterparts.

So how can you use the fact that you’re an amazing and intelligent women to your advantage in an interview? Here are a few tips of the trade:

1. If you are interviewing for a position that is male-dominated, the fact that you are a woman will make you memorable. The interviewers have been sitting in interviews all day so if you’re one of the few women that come through, chances are they will take a second look. The negative? This may increase the pressure to make a good impression. If you make a mistake, the mistake may stand out more along the rest. So just make sure to prep through any possible interview questions before hand!
  1. Appearance. This is a biggie. Women have to be especially conscious of the way the dress during an interview. A general rule is it’s better to be overdressed than to dress down, so wear a suit! Make sure the skirt is not too short; you want it to be no more than an inch or two above the knee. Pencil skirts are usually a good choice, and make sure to pair it with a suit jacket and please, no low cut shirts! Also, please don’t make this mistake I see many women around campus making. When your purchase a suit skirt, there will be threads holding the slit in the back together, snip those off! My suit is from Ann Taylor, and I have worn it more times I can remember. Take a look at these suits for ideas. Stick with black. As far as accessories, be simple. No loud jewelry (aka no bracelet bangles), or bright colors. Simplicity with nails is also key. Bright colors may be fun, but not for an interview. Gloss them over with a clear polish so they look kept up but not flashy. As far as shoes, wear close toed pumps with a small heel. Also, simple make-up, again no bright colors. Overall, the focus of the interview should be on you, not something you’re wearing!

1. Body Language. Don’t fidget! I may be the biggest hair player in the world and it takes every ounce of concentration for me not do it, but I know I have to. Employers want to see confidence and even if you’re extremely nervous, don’t show it. Do your best to sit still and not play with your hair, clothes, etc. Also keep your legs uncrossed and maintain eye contact.

1. Have a firm handshake. Sometimes it gets awkward when you walk in an interview room and don’t know what to do. Take the authority and shake each interviewers hand. Do it firmly, it will exude confidence.
  1. Unisex Tips:
    1. Be punctual. A first impression is made within the first few seconds of meeting someone. You don’t want your first impression to be you rushing into a room breaking out a sweat because you’re late!
    2. Prep, prep, prep. In addition to reviewing all possible questions an interviewer could ask you, make sure you have researched the company! They are likely to ask you why you are interested in that specific company and what you know about them. Also, research the interviewer themselves and have questions prepared for them!
    3. Good attitude. Smile and don’t be boring. It goes a long way.  
    4. Send a thank-you note or follow-up e-mail! Remind them of your interest in the organization and your great qualifications!

Good luck and I know each of you will kick-ass in whatever you decide to do! Have any more tips or suggestions? Leave a comment!

Sources:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2011/10/31/why-most-women-will-never-become-ceo/
http://www.catalyst.org/publication/219/statistical-overview-of-women-in-the-workplace
http://www.wageindicator.org/main/WageIndicatorgazette/2011/news-items-2011/gender-wage-gap-widens-with-age-march-2011
http://www.nextforwomen.com/profiles/blogs/let-the-focus-be-on-your-work-not-your-inappropriately-short-skir
http://www.nextforwomen.com/profiles/blogs/30-seconds-to-a-great-first-impression

Sophomore, PR major at UNC