How to Find Yourself in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Joining a sorority is just one way to find a home in college. I’ve definitely found a home through my sorority.

Transitioning from high school to college can be challenging, even for those who love their chosen university. It’s almost as if there’s a sort of identity crisis that many freshmen experience. You may have been doing the same things and participating in the same extracurricular activities for years, but suddenly, you find yourself here, not quite knowing what to do. Never fear! HC has some advice to help you get acclimated and find yourself at UNC-Chapel Hill.

I found a home in Wesley Campus Ministries, as well as in other groups, at UNC-Chapel Hill.

1. Join Something, Anything

I’m sure most of you will agree that Fall Fest was extremely overwhelming, however it does expose the student body to many of the great organizations here on campus. Whether you’re sure you want to join a particular campus organization or not, just try something. Joining a group on campus is the first step to finding your home here at Carolina. Whether you stick with that group or not is up to you, and don’t worry if you don’t like the first group you join, I didn’t. You can always join something else next semester or next year. Your first year is all about trying different things and finding what you like, so don’t stop searching until you find that thing, the group that brightens your day, makes you look forward to Mondays, and provides you with a home.

2. Talk to Upperclassmen

Upperclassmen were in your shoes just a few years ago. Get to know them. They will be invaluable when it comes to finding campus organizations to join, classes to pick, internship advice and more. I don’t think I would have joined any of the groups I’m involved with if it hadn’t been for the passionate upperclassmen I talked to who were already involved in them.

3. Don’t be Afraid to Try

With a school as large as UNC-CH, some application-based organizations might seem intimidating, especially as a first-year, but don’t be afraid to try! You never know what will happen, and at the very least, the application process will be a good experience for the real world. You’ll be amazed at the things you can accomplish when you try without the fear of failure.

4. Take a Class that Challenges You

Take a class that challenges you, not just academically but socially as well. Take a class that helps you grow as a person. For me, this class was JOMC 180 – Introduction to Photojournalism. At first, I thought this would be one of my easiest classes at Carolina. I soon learned that it would be the opposite. The class challenged me to go outside of my comfort zone and go way above and beyond the work I would have normally done in any other course. So I challenge you, take a class like this. It could be related to your major or be something completely different. Just try something that challenges you and helps you grow. College isn’t all about spending time inside boring lecture rooms of 250+ people just to satisfy your major and Gen Ed requirements. College is about growing, so take a class that challenges you to grow as a person.

There you have it collegiettes, get involved in any way you can, and when in doubt join HC Chapel Hill — we’re always on the hunt for awesome new members! HCXO!

Mikala is majoring in Journalism (Public Relations Specialization) and Global Studies and is minoring in Hispanic Studies. Her learning experiences both from PR courses and from outside PR experiences have led to Mikala's aspiration to become a PR practitioner. She hopes to continue learning more about PR through her current experiences and through future internships.