Formal 2016: Dresses that Make a Statement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s almost time for the Grammys of college campuses around the country: sorority and fraternity formal season! You spend all year waiting for it, all month trying to find a suitable date, and all day getting ready.  And then you get to the week of formal and realize that you haven’t really gotten to the “finding a dress” part. The solution? You pull from the back of your closet that boring strapless chiffon dress from a wedding a few years back. You know the one I’m talking about…the one EVERYONE has. No more! It’s time to throw the boring in the trash can, where it belongs, and find a dress that turns heads all night long. Here are some of this season’s best dresses to help spice up your formal experience:

1. ASOS Premium Ruffle Bandeau Scuba Maxi Dress: $94

This dress immediately grabs the eye with its giant ruffles that balance out the tight bottom portion. And because the form is so dramatic, the nude color keeps the dress at just the right level of attention-grabbing without being over the top. This dress can be found at us.asos.com, but act soon because it’s going quickly!

1. ASOS True Decadence Mini Prom Dress: $102

Normally, I would tell you the “high-low” fad is out.  But this dress is the exception and does the style right with a modern and structured twist. It’s classy. It’s chic. And I promise you no one will have it.  What more could you want?  This dress can be found at us.asos.com.

1. Lavish Alice Float On Flare Jumpsuit: $98

Looks like the boring chiffon dress that I mentioned earlier, right? Wrong! Look closely…this is actually a jumpsuit. This piece gives you a dressy appearance that will make you fit in with the “formal” requirement, but is the definition of unique, as most people wouldn’t even consider rocking a jumper to the event. This jumpsuit can be found at nastygal.com.

1. Lace-Up Your Life Sheer Dress: $88

This puts a brand new twist on the classic black dress. The color, neckline and lace keep it classy, but the see-through material and skimpy base scream sexy. It’s the perfect balance of the two and it’s guaranteed to make you feel like a rockstar. If this were Fashion Police, this dress would be on the “Best of the Night” list. This dress can be found at nastygal.com.

1. Visions Skater Dress: $60 rental

So you might be thinking, “Oh my gosh, more lace?”  The blue color, which is extremely popular this season, combined with the plunging neckline and the short hem make this dress anything but your grandma’s curtains. And for those of you who just aren’t feeling the long dresses this year, this comes in a ton of colors (including red, for all you sassy ladies out there).  This dress can be found at renttherunway.com.

Formal is the event you’ve been looking forward to all year, so don’t undermine it with a boring dress that everyone else has. It’s your time to be in the spotlight; and trust me ladies, you definitely deserve it!

Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.