Explore the South: Three Fall Weekend Getaways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Even the most poised Collegiette™ needs a break from her frenzied schedule. Who can keep up with classes, parties, friends and the scores of drama that inevitably plague us all?

Before your autumn fatigue drives you to a weekend of burrowing under the covers to catch up on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, consider a much-needed mini-vacation. What better way to de-stress than to embrace the thrill of the open road and some serious relaxation? You know you deserve it—it’s time to escape!

We’ve spotlighted three spectacular weekend destinations, all under four hours from your front door. Whether you’re craving a shopping spree with your girlfriends, a cozy couples’ retreat, or a chance to indulge your inner wild woman in the great outdoors, we’ve crafted the road trip for you!

The Do-It-All: Asheville, NC

This decidedly low-key city is a treasure trove of beautiful scenery, unique architecture and a thriving downtown boasting an offbeat collection of boutiques and a refreshingly diverse and welcoming population.

Asheville is a picture-perfect fall getaway–the city even releases a foliage report to encourage visitors to stop by when the autumn color palette is at its most surreal. Whether you’re an adrenaline junkie or in need of some tranquility, your options are endless: hike the winding, shady trails through the Appalachians, cruise along the breathtaking Blue Ridge Parkway or take a zip line tour through the mountain canopy. Whichever open-air excursion suits your tastes, we guarantee that getting in touch with nature will leave you noticeably refreshed and de-stressed.

You’ll also be more than tempted to score some fall must-haves in the city’s bustling hippie-chic downtown. If you’re looking for a cozy tribal-inspired sweater or a killer pair of riding boots, you’ll be in luck. Even better, there’s no chance you’ll spot your look on anyone else once you’re back home! The wide range of shops, from those hawking art-deco blown glass pieces to upscale women’s boutiques, will satisfy any and all retail cravings. Try f r o c k Boutique for upscale of-the-moment finds, or breathe new life into your apartment or dorm room with shabby-chic décor at Recollections.

A Step Into the Past: Williamsburg, VA
This classically Southern town is far from a boring elementary school field trip. This historic destination is ideal for nearly any occasion—a family trip, a girls’ trip or a weekend of romance.

Colonial Williamsburg, the centerpiece of the town, is an innovative, interactive history museum chronicling the culture of the early United States colonies. Wonderfully preserved architecture dating back to the 17th century houses lively vendors ranging from indulgent fudge makers to quirky gift shops. If you happen to stop by during the first weekend in December, the Grand Illumination (the lighting of thousands of Christmas lights) is sure to impress.

If you prefer a more exhilarating getaway, Williamsburg is also home to two theme parks, a renowned pottery factory and flea market and (for the older Collegiettes™) the largest winery in Virginia. Spend your Saturday upside down on Busch Gardens Europe’s famous roller coasters, or celebrate Halloween at Howl-O-Scream, the park’s festive October event featuring werewolves, vampires, and other spooky staples. Indulge at the Williamsburg Winery, where you can tour the vineyard, get the lowdown on wine making, and sample to your heart’s delight.  A tour and tasting runs just $10!

The Romantic Hideout: Georgetown, SC
Nestled midway between Charleston and Myrtle Beach, this quaint coastal town has much to offer. Fall temperatures hover around a crisp 68 degrees, beckoning one to snuggle up to her man after a stroll down the town’s cobble-stoned main streets.

Inviting storefronts line the historic Queen Street, including antique shops and ice cream parlors plucked straight from the 1950s. While not a commercial hot spot, Georgetown is idyllic and calming. Wooden walkways line the inlet where you can watch weathered fishing boats haul in the day’s catch. A quintessential port town, Georgetown is home to the freshest and most decadent seafood entrees around. The Rice Paddy is the town’s flagship restaurant: an ideal date-night destination with plush seats, white tablecloths and mouth-watering cuisine.

A few miles away are the exquisite DeBordieu and Litchfield beaches, with fine-grained white sand and gentle breezes. This scenic, calming South Carolina town is perfect for a relaxing couples’ weekend or to take a well-deserved time out to enjoy the simple life.

What are you waiting for? Grab some friends, get in the car and go! Let us know your favorite fall getaway with a comment!

Sources:
Downtown Asheville (photo): Fodors, http://www.fodors.com/images/experiences/AshevilleDowntown.jpg
Appalachian Mountains (photo): helpendlocalpoverty.com, http://helpendlocalpoverty.com/simplymissional/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/smoky_mt_fall1.jpg
Colonial Williamsburg (photo): igougo, http://photos.igougo.com/images/p210871-Williamsburg-Colonial_Carriage_Ride.jpg
Williamsburg Winery (photo): Williamsburg winery, http://www.williamsburgwinery.com/upload/7_imgHomeWinery.jpg
Georgetown Inlet (photo): activerain, http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/5/7/4/7/1/ar1199891417475.jpg

Writer for the Auburn branch of Her Campus. Junior studying communication.
Sophomore, PR major at UNC