A College Girl’s Guide To Healthy Snacking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It doesn’t matter if you are a senior ready to graduate or a first year just starting out, all of us college girls need snack options that will compliment a life on the go. However, sometimes our busy lifestyles can lead us to mindlessly grab a bag of potato chips or pop tarts. When our stomach takes over, these choices might seem fine at the time, but may leave us feeling sluggish and unsatisfied later. Try out these nutritious alternatives that will help you get through a long day of class and keep your body feeling happy and healthy.

1. Baby Carrots

Carrots are not only packed with vitamins that can improve your vision and nourish your skin, but they also can be used as a tasty snack in between classes. Instead of dipping them in high-fat ranch dressing, use a lighter version or switch to hummus to pump up the flavor and add some protein!

2. Apples

Craving some sugar? You can’t go wrong with a crisp, sweet apple. Whether you prefer Red and Delicious, Granny Smith or Gala, apples can satisfy your sweet tooth and keep you full with their fibrous peel! Not to mention, they can naturally freshen up your breath! So, if you just realized you’re all out of gum, cover up your coffee breath by munching on an apple.

3. Almonds

Great for post-workout or as a crunchy replacement for chips, almonds are an excellent  source of protein and vitamin E. Although they are best for your health when eaten raw, almonds that are lightly salted or sprinkled with cocoa powder will also get the job done with a boost of flavor.

4. Nonfat Greek Yogurt

The question is, why eat yogurt unless it’s greek? Thick and creamy, greek yogurt seems more like a dessert than a “healthy snack.” Depending on the brand, you can find flavors that range from blueberry and strawberry to key lime pie and strawberry cheesecake. The best part is, you won’t feel even a little bit of guilt while eating because it is full of calcium and protein.

5. Popcorn

The way movie theaters fatten up a bag of regular size popcorn with added butter and salt, many people categorize popcorn as junk food. However, without the fatty extras, this snack can be healthy because it is high in fiber and super filling. Air-popped popcorn is just 35 calories a cup! Another nutritious option (and my personal favorite) is a 100-calorie pack of popcorn. Both Orville Redenbacher’s and Pop Secret make 100-cal packs that you can enjoy anytime of the day!

6. Protein Bars

Let me tell you, not all protein bars are created equal. I have spent a good amount of time scavenging grocery store aisles in quest of the perfect bar. I love Clif bars, but sometimes I feel as if they are more of a meal than a snack. My advice: look for a bar less than 200 calories with at least 7 grams of protein. Right now my favorites are Special K’s cranberry walnut bars (170 cal) and Nature Valley’s peanut butter dark chocolate protein bars (190). Not only are protein bars ideal when you are on the go, eating the right brand of bar will also keep your mind off your stomach and help you focus throughout the day.

7. Quaker Popped Rice Snacks

These babies are great because they have so many flavors to choose from! (Cheddar Cheese, Apple Cinnamon, BBQ, Caramel Corn, Chocolate, Kettle Corn, and Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper are just a few!) Light and crunchy, Quaker’s mini popped rice cakes are healthy yet savory. They also offer 13 grams of whole grains per serving, which will help fill you up in between meals!

8. Whole grain cereal

I think we all would rather eat a big bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Lucky Charms, but it is difficult to relive our childhood when we don’t have our seven-year-old metabolisms anymore. However, many different brands have made an effort to create cereals that are better for our bodies and taste yummy too. Look out for brands like Kashi that use natural ingredients and whole grains! Cereal can be a delicious and nutritious snack when done right.

9. Whey

Whey powder is incredibly versatile. You can use it in your smoothies, shakes, yogurt, and even when you are baking! Did I mention how whey helps build muscle and facilitate weight loss? So next time you are running low on time, but need a quick snack, try adding a scoop of whey protein powder in a fruit smoothie. Try out these great recipes!

10. Fat Free Cottage Cheese

One of my favorite healthy snacks that also makes for a delectable breakfast is fat free cottage cheese sprinkled with fruit and honey. You can even go all out and add some granola! Cottage cheese is another high-protein snack that can help keep you moving during a busy day on campus.

What’s your favorite snack that leaves you feeling great? Tell us below!