Campus Cutie: Samone Bullock ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

From her style to her scholarship, Samone Bullock embodies what it means to be a “finer woman.” At any given moment, you can catch this “dovely” lady donning that blue and white while channeling her inner Laila Ali or working to better education. Check out our interview below to find out more about this week’s Campus Cutie!

Year: Sophomore

Age: 19

Major: Education

Hometown: Raleigh, N.C.

HC: What made you fall in love with Carolina?

SB: I love Carolina because there are an unlimited amount of opportunities present here. No matter what your interests are, there is something on this campus for you. I think that what I love most is that my peers are outstanding. Just looking at the accomplishments of my peers on campus, I know that I’m surrounded by greatness, which motivates me to achieve more.

HC: What all are you involved in on campus?

SB: I’m currently the Black Student Movement service and education co-chair, treasurer of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc. and a member of an education policy organization.

HC: You were UNC BSM’s Miss Freshman, right? What was that experience like and what were your duties as a member of the Royal Court?

SB: I was. Being Miss Freshman of Black Student Movement was very rewarding. To be so involved on campus my freshman year really helped me to expand my network. My main duties as a member of the royal court were to assist Mr. and Miss Black Student Movement with their service projects.

HC: What was it like crossing Zeta Phi Beta as a first year and entering into

Finer Womanhood?

SB: Everyone knows I could probably talk about this for days.  This was by far the most amazing experience of my freshman year. I gained a lifelong sisterhood and such a strong network with individuals around the country. As great of an experience this was, it was also a wake-up call and a humbling experience. Zeta helped me to take a look at myself in the present and compare that to the woman I want to be in the future. It’s easy to feel you have everything figured out but to really be open to self-improvement is a beautiful thing.

HC: Proudest moment at Carolina?  Or top three?  

SB: Becoming a member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., getting an “A” in a class and being able to participate in the Mike Brown demonstrations.

HC: We all love to talk about the Carolina struggle. Is there a specific quote or mindset that keeps you going through those hard times?

SB: “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” – Maya Angelou

HC: Favorite hobbies you do to relax?

SB: Definitely boxing. I started going to club boxing workouts my freshman year and fell in love with it. For me, working out is vital to having a healthy mind and body.

HC: What’s your idea of a perfect date?

SB: A perfect date would be any activity that allows for genuine face-to-face interaction. I enjoy things such as going for dinner, going to the park, museums, jazz clubs and things of that nature.

HC: What are three qualities someone would need to be “bae”?

SB: Good communicator, diligent and goal-oriented and spiritually mature!

Jaleesa Jones

Chapel Hill

Jaleesa Jones is a senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is a communication studies major with double minors in journalism and screenwriting. She is president and co-campus correspondent of the UNC chapter of Her Campus, a Collegiate Correspondent for USA TODAY and a member of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, Carolina Association of Black Journalists, National Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Hispanic Journalists. Jaleesa loves covering lifestyle, race, feminism and the arts. In her spare time, she enjoys confusing her roommate with alternating sessions of Juicy J and Taylor Swift, imagining her Ramen was pasta, and binge-watching movies - because TV series are so '90s.