Campus Cutie: Riley Reid ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

“Rock hard, surf fast” is one of the many mantras junior Riley Reid has to offer. I first met Riley when I hired him and Stuart Schrader to make a video for Greek Groove 2015. Their dedication to making the final product perfect was contagious. After interviewing Riley, I know where the love for artistry came from. Get to know this native Californian here and be inspired.

Name: Riley Reid

Year: Junior

Age: 20

Hometown: I still consider my hometown San Diego, California but I went to high school in Chapel Hill. It’s whatever I’m feeling that day.

Major: Right now it’s Advertising and minoring in Spanish and Entrepreneurship.

Relationship Status: Taken. (Sorry ladies)

Favorite Actor/Actress: Sean Penn

Pepsi or Coke: Don’t really drink soda, but root beer.

The perfect YOPO creation is: Vanilla with Reese’s cups

Give us your best pick-up line: Don’t use them but…look into the eyes. Eye sex, for sure.

Spirit animal: Dolphin. I love the ocean and surfing. They are apparently the only mammals, other than humans, who have sex for pleasure. Surfing and sex? It doesn’t get much better.

Favorite restaurant on Franklin Street: That is tricky because I love food. I’d probably say Med Deli. Super fresh ingredients which I’m all about- warm pita bread, and all the different sauces.

Her Campus: If you could watch one TV show for the rest of your life what would it be?

Riley Reid: I’d say The Office.

HC: What do you love most about being a Tar Heel?

RR: Going to such a staple, American school. It’s the one you see in the movies, which I think is pretty cool.

HC: Tell us something quirky.

RR: Body surfing naked…at night. Definitely one of my favorite past times. In the moonlight of course.

HC: Everyone has a guilty pleasure, what’s yours?

RR: Secretly blasting pop songs and singing along. I’m talking Meghan Trainor, Ellie Goulding.

HC: I know you are the co-founder of Strange Trip Media; what got you interested in videography?

RR: Basically I discovered short films, and I was already very artistic. I’m big into music, like recording and writing. I realized film was another medium you could portray your artistic side along with sound. You could express more creativity than just music alone.

HC: It’s ten years from now; where are you and what are you doing?

RR: On top of being the president of the United States? I’ll be running my own startup (that hopefully isn’t just a startup), something progressive and beneficial for some group. It’s gonna be that place that everyone wants to be and work. But be on the lookout this year…Hungover Heels, it’s in the works.

HC: Where is the most interesting place you’ve traveled?

RR: Morocco, Africa. I actually won a free trip, believe it or not. One of the travel agencies in Spain had a sweepstakes and I entered my name. Two days later they drew my name. I thought it was a scam at first.

HC: Do you have a motto or mantra?

RR: What I like, and it’s hard to do, is don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened. Try to be able to experience what’s happening. Life is a bunch of experiences. Be fortunate you had those experiences. In general, push your boundaries. Being able to expand yourself is best, and accepting change as a positive thing.

HC: What music artist should everyone check out?

RR: There’s way too many but I have to show love to my new favorite alternative band Wild Belle, Bahamas…it’s very Jack Johnson meets Citizen Cope. Bon Iver. But then classics like Louis Armstrong. Pink Floyd. Led Zeppelin.

HC: Who got you interested in music?

RR: I guess I’d have to say my parents. My mom really wanted me to take piano lessons as a kid with these crazy Russian teachers. They made me play classical and hit my fingers with pencils. Then I realized- whoa you can make your own music. Getting in early and then listening to other bands opened my eyes.

HC: What do you love most about music?

RR: I love playing. I love performing. It’s like a high, the energy is incredible. Writing music with a group is so much easier. Writing it alone is difficult. You can bring one chord or one lyric to a group and it can develop into a creative, collaborative piece.

Sara Ingraham is a junior at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where she is pursuing a Political Science and English double major. She is a Kappa Kappa Gamma. She represents the Panhellenic Community as the Vice President of Special Events. Her free time is full of running, tennis, hiking, fashion, and traveling. Sara has lived all over the country, but has a love for the East Coast. Any afternoon with "When Harry Met Sally" and a good book is an afternoon well spent.
Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.