Campus Cutie: Kimu Elolia ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

A 6’ 2” Tennessee native, Kimu Elolia, is sure to put a smile on your face. When he’s not kickin’ it in the arboretum on a sunny day or vibin’ to Future, you can find him taking cool pictures behind the lens of a camera. He’s caring, laid-back, and always ready for a new adventure. Meet this week’s campus cutie because he’s a keeper.

Name: Kimu Elolia

Graduation Year: 2015

Age: 21

Hometown: Johnson City, Tennessee

Major: Public relations and public policy

Fun Fact: I am half Kenyan and half Canadian

Favorite artists: Isaiah Rashad, Kanye, Well$, Erykah Badu

Favorite place to eat in Chapel Hill: Akai Hana, that sushi place in Carrboro

HC: What’s your favorite quote?

KE: It’s not necessarily my favorite quote of all time but I really like this quote … “I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make. I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion.”- Yohji Yamamoto

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

KE: Playful, ruthless, and empathetic.

HC: Do you have any hidden talents?

KE: I can play the piano, drums, and saxaphone. I produce beats and can freestyle for an hour straight.

HC: What’s your best pickup line?

KE: What’s your number? Let me text you one real quick.

HC: Describe your ideal first date.

KE: I would go to some underground open mic night, kinda grimy but all the glasses look clean. Just chillin’ and laughing with someone kind but bold. Then, some dope street violinists would take the stage and we’re like, let’s dip, but then he starts strumming Codeine Crazy and I’ll go crazy. Then, we have to go somewhere with noodles, because I love noodles. From there, we’re going to a rooftop bar that has to have real grass, like real bermudagrass. We immediately both take our shoes off, pop some Moët, and watch the stars. Maybe throw some banana and nutella somewhere in there but that’s basically it.

HC: Any pet peeves?

KE: Poor posture and dishonesty.

HC: What’s one thing on your bucket list?

KE: I’ve always wanted to go dune buggy in the Sahara.

HC: What’s your favorite Carolina memory?

KE: I was with my friend Kathryn and we had a really lovely lunch outside. Then, we went to the arboretum and laid down on this quilt she had. We listened to A Tribe called Quest and the Gorillaz. Then, I went to class and she waited for me to get out and then we went to her house and she made brussel sprouts and they were fire. Then we watched music videos for a while and it was just the best day. And that’s my favorite Carolina memory.

HC: If you had a million dollars, how would you spend it?

KE: I would build a house on my land in Kenya. Start a record label for Kenyan artists. Put my sister on.

HC: If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?

KE: I would want to meet Nelson Mandela or Genghis Khan.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

KE: I’ll still be a “yung” simba trapped in a grown mans body trying to break out. Really, I want to have any position with power. I need power and I need power because I have lives to change.

HC: Name your autobiography

KE: Home?

Rene Gupta

Chapel Hill

Broadcast major in the UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Little, Indian, and planning to take over the world. Talents include quoting Mean Girls, binge watching The Kardashians, and eating guac with every meal.