Campus Celebrity: Miranda Kirkland ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

HC: How would you describe yourself in three words and why?

MK: Ambitious, assertive, and supportive. One of my favorite quotes is, “If your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough” by Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. I think it perfectly describes my outlook of my life’s goals. I tend to be very assertive when I feel strongly about situations, even if sometimes it hurts me in the long run. Also, I am a very supportive person: I love giving advice and helping my friends at every opportunity.

HC: Why did you decide to be a part of the UNC-CH All-Girl Cheerleading Team?

MK: I asked my mom if I could do recreational cheerleading when I was 10 years old, and the rest is history. I’ve cheered for 9 years now and at some points I’ve been on as many as three teams at once. I watched UNC All-Girl at a couple of competitions I went to during high school and knew that I wanted a spot on the team. It was a mini dream of mine. To wear the UNC emblem is an honor.

HC: How do you manage your schoolwork and being on the team?

MK: The prestige of UNC shows in daily coursework and adding cheerleading into the mix can be hard at times. When I’m stressed from having loads of homework and practice on the same night, I just have to remind myself that I’m a student athlete, not just a student or just an athlete. The team does have GPA requirements, which also adds some motivation on the nights I’m just not feeling it.

HC: Describe your average day (including practices)

MK: My average day starts pretty early (8ams are no fun). I spend most of my day in class (18hr course load is no fun either). Usually, I try to eat lunch with my cheer friends or at my sorority house. When my classes are over, I get dinner at the dining hall or at my sorority house and then go back to my dorm to do homework. Then later I leave for practice, which lasts about 2 hours. We spend time working on stunts, tumbling, jumps, and our dance. After practice, I walk back to my dorm with my friends and hit the sheets!

HC: Why did you decide to go to UNC?

MK: Tar Heel born, Tar Heel bred! My dad was always a Carolina fan, and he taught me well. The prestige of the university added to my desire to go here and the day I got my acceptance letter was one of the best days of my life.

HC: What has been your biggest challenge while at UNC?

MK: My biggest challenge so far while at UNC has actually been learning peoples’ names! I live in a building with around 800 students, as well as being on a cheerleading team with 24 other girls, and a sorority with over 150 members. It can get frustrating when I see familiar faces between classes and can’t call out to the people by name.

HC: What do you do for fun?

MK: I bought Netflix over Christmas break and am now addicted to Supernatural. I also spend a lot of my time outside of classes bonding with my Pi Beta Phi sisters and sending selfies to my boyfriend.

HC: What is the best part about being on the Cheerleading team?

MK: Being surrounded by 24 women who share your desire to stay motivated, dedicated, and win is the best feeling ever. I know that I can count on any of my teammates to help me out when I need it. Plus, who wouldn’t mind saying they cheer at Carolina?

HC: Lastly, what do you want to do after your time at Carolina?

MK: Currently, my goals include attending Physicians Assistant school to become a home-traveling P.A. focusing on pediatrics. I want to eventually get married and have a family and live happily ever after!

Carleigh Barnett is a sophomore at UNC-Chapel Hill and is majoring in Journalism. She specifically hopes to have a career in entertainment Public Relations. From New York to North Carolina, she loves watching TV (especiall dramas that are filled with gossip), staying connected with the world of entertianment and enjoying days filled with Netflix and Sour Patck Kids.