Campus Celebrity: Destiny Planter ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Queen City, stand up! Hailing from Charlotte, N.C., junior Destiny Planter has carved quite a throne for herself here at Carolina – and the English and political science double major is just getting warmed up. Check out our interview with her for this week’s Campus Celebrity!

Her Campus: What made you choose Carolina?

Destiny Planter: I chose Carolina not only because of the amazing financial aid package and historic prestige of the University, but also because I knew that it would be a challenge for me. I knew that UNC would be academically rigorous, and because I did not have many friends coming here, I knew that I would be out of my comfort zone initially. I believe that I grow the most when I am out of my comfort zone, so overall UNC was the best opportunity for me to develop as a student as well as a young woman.

HC: What are you involved with on campus?

DP: On campus, I am the Vice President of the Black Student Movement. I am also a Carolina Covenant Scholar, a Resident Advisor, a Select Member with the Minority Student Recruiting Committee, a member of the UNC Undergraduate Honor Court, a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, and the Political Awareness and Involvement Chair of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated.

HC: And which pushed you out of your comfort zone the most? Made you grow?

DP: All of my involvements have been extremely valuable to me. I started out my first year attempting to join everything. Over the years, I have solidified my list down to only things that I am passionate about. I have grown through all of these activities as a leader, a team player, and as an individual.

HC: As a leader at Carolina, what do you want to be your legacy, your “Heelprint”?

DP: I wish to leave my Heelprint here by doing all that I can to make Carolina the place that everyone wants to attend. When I leave, I want to feel confident that I have done all that I could to be the best individual that I can be, while doing the same for my peers.

HC: What does “the Carolina Way” mean to you?

DP: The Carolina Way means being all that you can be. It means not only pushing yourself, but reaching back and ensuring that younger people are doing the same. The Carolina Way means being a constant agent of positive change, an activist for inclusivity, and a force of love.

HC: Favorite memories? Top three.

DP: Winning “Miss Freshman” for the Black Student Movement, rushing Franklin (Street) last year after beating DOOK and hosting the “UNC Don’t Shoot” photo to raise awareness about Mike Brown.

HC: Best way to spend a lazy day here?

DP:  Self-care. As trailblazers, we often become so consumed in our activities and our school work that we neglect ourselves. For me, a lazy day consists of watching Netflix with friends, catching up on sleep, and talking to my family in Charlotte.

HC: Is there a particular quote or phrase you try to live by?

DP: “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.”

HC: How are you going to change the world?

DP: I am going to change the world by continuing to have faith in myself and in God. I have to continue believing that I am the difference. I will attend law school and become a juvenile dependency lawyer who strives to create safe and stable childhoods for less fortunate families. I believe that if we eliminate extreme problems from children while they are young, we as a society will not have to deal with the effects of these problems when these children become adults.

HC: Anything else you’d like to share?

DP: I would like to inspire everyone… to be confident, humble, and never complacent. It’s amazing how far you can go if you just believe in yourself and speak positivity and prosperity into existence.

Jaleesa Jones

Chapel Hill

Jaleesa Jones is a senior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is a communication studies major with double minors in journalism and screenwriting. She is president and co-campus correspondent of the UNC chapter of Her Campus, a Collegiate Correspondent for USA TODAY and a member of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, Carolina Association of Black Journalists, National Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Hispanic Journalists. Jaleesa loves covering lifestyle, race, feminism and the arts. In her spare time, she enjoys confusing her roommate with alternating sessions of Juicy J and Taylor Swift, imagining her Ramen was pasta, and binge-watching movies - because TV series are so '90s.